Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Air Intake Sensor from a Legacy 90'ish?

If you are lookling for more air flow cut out the bottom of the air box that your air filter sits in, or go 1 better and remove the air intake silencer that is the plastic assembly coming out of the bottom of your air box going into the passenger inner fender and run a 4" 90 pvc elbow into the fender instead. The first mod is good for better throttle performance especially with a K&N filter, the second helps deep your intake temps cooler, which is important if you don't have an intercooler.

There are a few other things that will dramatically increase throttle response you can do but what your mech said I've never heard of in my years lurking on the board. I used to be on here under a different name but after a couple of years away from the board i'm back under a differnet name. It's cool to see how people respond to posts when your "new" with not much of a post count. If you searc out performance mods you'll find tons, What have you done so far? what level of performance are you looking t have?

I think this has been brought up before, cause I know I've said what I'm going to say here before, but here it goes:

In theory, all MAF's run on the same concept, a little wire is heated to a particular temp, and the air flowing over it cools it, how much voltage being applied to keep it at that first initial voltage (before air started flowing) relates to how much air is going in. So, if the Leg's MAF runs at about the same voltage for the same amount of airflow then yes, it will work. But note the first two words to this paragraph. Your best bet would be to look up the specs for both of the two MAF's and see how they compare, and if they run close enough together then yeah, throw it on there. But keep in mind that if the resistances are different between the two, and the Leg's is lower than the G3's then you run the risk of letting the magic smoke outa your computer. If I find the time, I will look into the two components and see how they compare for ya, but right now, that seems like a stretch for me. Lotsa luck to ya though.

Mmmmmm, dem are gooooood thoughts,

I think I might do the first right now. My mech has a wack of those around in case I want to reverse that. He was saying that running cooler air really isn't a hugie right now with the weather being so cold. I'm not sure how stoned he was when he said that so correct him if he was wrong.

Are you talking about cutting the entire bottom of the airbox or just a bit ( like 1/2)? I would like to have better throttle response as the low end is always a bit hurtin' on the turbos. It's great when the boost kicks in, heh.

I haven't done a whole wack to it really. I have a K&N filter, bought a really good ignition coil, my mech put in a relay near the coil for a better spark, put in an dual pipe setup (which I believe is for an XT). I'd like to raise it a couple of inches at least and improve the suspension for moderate off-roading as I hit the perils of Vancouver Island fire roads.

I'm not sure what level of performance I would like as I'm not really sure where I am now. I could get the car Dyno'd somewhere so I know where I am. I'd say I'm pretty happy with the performance thought. I've heard some good things on stuff like Boost Controllers and Intercoolers but haven't made the leap yet. Apparently, there is a really good used Subie Part place near Victoria that I want to check out.

With the 2nd option, were you talking about positioning the PVC elbow so the pipe ends up pointing forward in the fender and runs parallel to the movement of the air in the fender to increase the efficiency of the air entering the Airbox?

I saw a little ditty on increasing performance somewhere and someone was suggesting removing the intake chamber. Is this the same line of thinking?

I just had a rebuilt engine done so I'm a little capital challenged and always looking for reasonably simple ways to improve performance.

Any B.C. meets in the works? I might be working in Saanich soon.

I'll do the Airbox Adaptation and get back to ya.

Thanks for your thinkings again.

Simon

If you are lookling for more air flow cut out the bottom of the air box that your air filter sits in, or go 1 better and remove the air intake silencer that is the plastic assembly coming out of the bottom of your air box going into the passenger inner fender and run a 4" 90 pvc elbow into the fender instead. The first mod is good for better throttle performance especially with a K&N filter, the second helps deep your intake temps cooler, which is important if you don't have an intercooler.

There are a few other things that will dramatically increase throttle response you can do but what your mech said I've never heard of in my years lurking on the board. I used to be on here under a different name but after a couple of years away from the board i'm back under a differnet name. It's cool to see how people respond to posts when your "new" with not much of a post count. If you searc out performance mods you'll find tons, What have you done so far? what level of performance are you looking t have?

1st, for the airbox, remove the 3 bolts that hold the thing in take a sawzsll and remove the whole bottom leaving behind the lip that the filter rests on. This one works very well but if you're doin the drive up the Coq. or similar long slushy dirty passes you will want to clean your filter more often. I uses this on my wagon with the TMIC.

2nd, The better of the two, if you look at the bottom of your airbox there is a plastic piece that goes through the side of your engine bay and ito the pass, fender. In there is a long bit of plastic piping that muffles the turbo noise. Take the plastic out and scrib the 4" Pvc elbow into the bottom of the air box and then scribe a mark on the engine bay wall were the plastic was. Bam cold air intake with no cleaning issues. Best if you'r not planning on an IC.

As for boost controllers, if you finmd one for cheap great, but there are other ways that are reliable, I use a spring on my wastegate arm on my other Twagon, not the one in my sig, and it boosts 14 psi with no spikes, ever.

I think the plan is a meet in the new year possibly a run up to Mt. Cain with a few detours, I have access to cheap Hostel accomidations for everybody, $15 bucks a night in town here and up the mountain too.

Lmk when you're on the island and I'll come by with thesuperwagon, I'm just waiting for the lift kit and then it's good to go, I could bring another modded twagon too so you can see some of the go fast bits too.

Cool, thx for that. I just phoned my mech an apparently the muffler in the fender is already out so I just need to grab that 4" PVC elbow and pop it in. I can't scribe on the bay wall where the plastic was as there is no plastic piece there currently.

#1 - How much of the elbow comes into the Airbox? Does it matter?

#2 - what is a good method of securing the elbow into place. Does the elbow in the fender area point forward? I'm guessing it does.

I'm probably coming into Van Isl on Monday via Horseshoe Bay as my parents are in W Van and I'm going to stay there for a bit. Do you have a # I can contact you at? Maybe we can meet somewhere near Nanaimo or equivalent

thx again and talk to you soon,

Simon

1st, for the airbox, remove the 3 bolts that hold the thing in take a sawzsll and remove the whole bottom leaving behind the lip that the filter rests on. This one works very well but if you're doin the drive up the Coq. or similar long slushy dirty passes you will want to clean your filter more often. I uses this on my wagon with the TMIC.

2nd, The better of the two, if you look at the bottom of your airbox there is a plastic piece that goes through the side of your engine bay and ito the pass, fender. In there is a long bit of plastic piping that muffles the turbo noise. Take the plastic out and scrib the 4" Pvc elbow into the bottom of the air box and then scribe a mark on the engine bay wall were the plastic was. Bam cold air intake with no cleaning issues. Best if you'r not planning on an IC.

As for boost controllers, if you finmd one for cheap great, but there are other ways that are reliable, I use a spring on my wastegate arm on my other Twagon, not the one in my sig, and it boosts 14 psi with no spikes, ever.

I think the plan is a meet in the new year possibly a run up to Mt. Cain with a few detours, I have access to cheap Hostel accomidations for everybody, $15 bucks a night in town here and up the mountain too.

Lmk when you're on the island and I'll come by with thesuperwagon, I'm just waiting for the lift kit and then it's good to go, I could bring another modded twagon too so you can see some of the go fast bits too.