Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Am I dumb??? What am I doing wrong??

They let us out of work early today so it gave me a great time to work on my project motor.I finally took off the torque converter,oil pump,timing belts and adjusters, distributor,and valve covers..now I have run into a dilema. How do I get the timing pullies off the cam shafts without them turning..I dont want to bend a valve ( I am the valve bending queen when it comes to dirt bikes dont want that title on car engines too). Is there a safe place to shove a screw driver to hold the cam? I am trying to get the heads off the motor to replace the gaskets and see if they are going to need machined. Am or Did I do something wrong? Am I an idiot?? If so at least I am having fun!!

Please help!!!

OH..EA82 motor

So would I want to put the timing belt system back on??The tentioners have been removed and the whole front of the motor is open now. Should I have tried to loosen the bolts on the cam before removing the belts?? If so at least it will give me some practice on putting on new belts huh??:grin:

build a spanner wrench. what i did was take a piece of metal about an inch wide and 2 foot long drilled two holes in it to catch two of the four holes on the cam pulley and put a 1/4 bolt and nut to hold the bolt to my wrench. \

i found that you want to go for two holes right next to each other i wasn't thinking right when i drilled them the first time and i made it to across the pully . kinda hard to get the wrench on there to get the pullys off.

the wrench will also help when you go reinstall the timing belts.

if you don't want to make a tool. just get an impact wrench. and since these are non interference moters you don't need to worry about bending valves

Connie,

Get yourself a Xmas gift, like this one

strap wrench.

Good for oil filters, jar lids, cam gears ect.

Sears has them also

Happy Holly Daze - hope this helps

LOL..this little project has my X Mas list growing by the minute..Ready to go to Sears for an electric Impact gun...22 mm socket..1/2 drive..all the stuff little girls want for X mas..power tools LOL

i have an old broken belt i use to hold the cam in place while i turn the bolt (if i can't loosen the bolts before removing the belt, that's the easy way. a little tricky but i did it yesterday with the motor in the car, so out of the car should be easy. actually if you torque it really fast and turn the cam with the socket, many times the bolts will break loose when teh cam tightens as it's pushing the valves in just by turning the cam. also can use a wrench and socket. probably risk stripping one, but i've done it before and never had a problem. do it to all three (yes the last one will break loose as you're tightening another to hold it in place, but one they have all been broken they'll come off).

Thanks Guys!! Got them off!! I had bajavwsoobnut in IM too..ended up tossing the timing belts back on and wedging a screwdriver in the faceplate..the bolts cam off nicely then.

And I forgot about the non-interference motor thing...DER!!! Still have bad memories of bending a valve in my Honda XR dirtbike..$700 later I had it fixed. Dont have valve tools or that knowledge yet..so I left it to those who knew.

Actually this is the first time pulling heads off a water cooled system..any other pointers would be greatly appreciated.. But what I have already learned today is invaluable...I know completely understand the sucking in of the mickey mouse gasket and that little spot where the casting of the block comes together..and timing belts are CAKE!! Now I can't wait to change them on Bucky..knowing it wont be as easy since his motor is still inside along with all the stuff in the way.

Thanks a Ton you all are the best!!!!

Another little trick to removing bolts on pulleys/flywheels/lugnuts is to run the rachet/breaker bar across the center point of the pulley/blah, instead of outwards away from the center. Outwards adds to the tendency for the pulley to turn, while pointing inwards tends to reduce it.

And anybody who has a spare engine to practice on can't be dumb. :)

And anybody who has a spare engine to practice on can't be dumb. :)

Thanks..and you thought I was crazy for putting it in my kitchen next to my puter:grin: ..see there was a method to my madness!Its easier to have great knowledgable ppl walking you through something when you can have them "right there" while you are doing it.

Maybe next meeting of the First Subaru Church gathering..if it isnt too cold and its earlier in the day I can try and do Bucky's belts and oil pump seal...I still dont feel confident enough to try it on him without someone else around in case I screw up. Belts seem easy but I wont be able to tell if I did it right on this motor till the first time I go to start it.

when putting the whole works back together, thread in the bolts for the cam pulley till snug by hand, install the belts, then torque the 3 bolts, the belt will hold everything still. be careful not to snap them off. if you dont have a torque wrench snug the bolts down bty hand with a 1/4 drive ratchet, then 1/4 turn past snug