Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Blowing oil out of the intake again...

88 GL 1.8 SPFI Non-Turbo

I replaced the PCV valve which was gummed up, as several people here suggested. I drove the car for a short distance, a mile or two, and suddenly I had a ton of blue smoke pouring out the tail pipe and the engine died the moment I let off the gas. I stomped the pedal several times and the engine finally started back up again. As long as I kept the rpm up around 3000 I was fine, but if let run any lower the h p fell off and it wanted to die.

I limped it back home and it finally idle but at 200 or 300 rpm. Also noticed it was blowing oil out of the intake again. Could this be worn or sticking valves?

Once again, HELP!

-Mike

If your compression is good, then maybe you need the hose kit for your PCV system. If you have large hoses on the pass. side and from the valve covers and one skinny hose from the intake "boot" to a "T" fitting and large hose down to the PCV, it will suck in oil everytime you make a sharp or high banking turn to the right.

I have pics, too big to post here. PM or email if you want to see them.