Ultimate Subaru Message Board

GM One Wire Alternator?

Hello All!

Just joined, first post. Please go easy on me :) .

I recently got an 88 GL 3-door hatchback. It's got the carbureted 1.8 and optional 4WD. The car was meticulously maintained until about 1996, and then wasn't driven more than 50 miles until I got it a few weeks ago. Onto my point.

A week or so after I got my new battery, I checked the charging system and I think I need a new alternator. Taking a look at the alternator, it looks an awful lot like the GM one-wire units that I have on my 70 Buick Skylark and my Chevy S-10. Switching to one of those would not only be cheaper, but it would also keep me from needing a separate regulator and alternator, and I could get one that put out more juice too.

I've read the tech article on the board about switching to a one-wire XT alternator, so I know that switching to an internally regulated unit can be done. Not sure if I have an electric fuel pump or not, but if I do, I think I could probably handle rewiring the pump onto the ignition circuit without too many problems.

So, is it an easy swap to put a GM one-wire alternator in this Subaru, or is the similarity between the units merely visual?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

- Freed

welcome.

yes I belive it to be possible and has been done by some of our members.

I too am in the market for a bigger alt. as well. 45 amps just isnt doin it any more.

I will be going to the JY tomarow to see what I can see. If I find something cool I will share.

Yep. Been there, done that. :rolleyes:

The first thread that Handtool posted there is my own. It includes pics and part numbers if you want to go pick up a fresh one from the parts house. Just go to the junk yard for long enough to grab a suitable core. ;)

Extremely easy to do, and well worth it. Read through my thread and you should have everything you'd need. If you hae any questions, either myself or any of us knowledgable folks will be happy to provide guidance. :D