Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Extra Gas Tank

MSSLGECKO

Well, my gas guage works . . . sometimes - I think the contacts are a little dirty and it's too cold for me to lay down in the snow and get gas all over myself (summer project)

I would like to take a small gas tank (I have a 1 gal. just for example) with me where ever my car goes just as some assurance that I won't be SOL and cold. Where (if anywhere) should I keep it? Are there any dangers to consider. I would say pop it on the roof rack and make sure it's secure. Will this pose any dangers to the livelyhood of my car's occupants and/or the cars that I burl over?

I keep mine in the cabin tightly screwed shut. Try to keep it wedged down secure between the back of my seat, tools, and such. Then again I don't have rear seats anymore and never have people back there.

Fleet Farm stocks those cans LPGsuperchargedBrumby is talking about. Or try a military surplus shop.

I've been considering the MilSpec 5 Gal. tanks, but it the metal construction worth worrying about?

I'm no safety freak, but I don't want to die anytime soon. I haven't even gotten my first Ferrari yet.

As for in the cab, I'm not sure I like that idea. The tank I have is about the CRAPPIEST thing you'll ever see and I don't like the smell of gasoline for extended periods of time.

I'll see what I come up w/.

I just put a military jerry can holder on my back bumper, and stick it in there when I am offroading, I dont carry it around 24/7 though so im not sure if that works for you. If I were you I would do what morgan said: keep it in the cabin. just go get one of those red gas can with a sealing cap and make sure its secure. I ran with on for a long time in the trunk (of a wagon) with a tie down, never had any problems

Well, my gas guage works . . . sometimes - I think the contacts are a little dirty and it's too cold for me to lay down in the snow and get gas all over myself (summer project)

I would like to take a small gas tank (I have a 1 gal. just for example) with me where ever my car goes just as some assurance that I won't be SOL and cold. Where (if anywhere) should I keep it? Are there any dangers to consider. I would say pop it on the roof rack and make sure it's secure. Will this pose any dangers to the livelyhood of my car's occupants and/or the cars that I burl over?

I have thought of this as well and I think the roof would be suitable. if the tank were low profile long and narrow you could easily mount it directly in a roof basket right over the gas cap, and keep a long tube inside the tank that could be used as a syphon to fill when needed.

If I carry one around, it's going on my roof rack - I do like the idea of a holder on my rear bumper, but it's only good for offroading (dangerous in traffic)

I am just concerned w/ safety. I would rather not blow up after I flip my car as it would definately ruin my day.

If I carry one around, it's going on my roof rack - I do like the idea of a holder on my rear bumper, but it's only good for offroading (dangerous in traffic)

I am just concerned w/ safety. I would rather not blow up after I flip my car as it would definately ruin my day.

not mention you rolled your car. oh you did mention it!

It's not like the movies. Your car wont explode. :)