Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tie rods w/ lifted subaru

RenaissanceMan

ok, so has anyone else out there done some suspension modification where they need longer tie rods? I have an EA81 car with stock engine cradle and rack, but my control arms stick out 2 inches longer per side (4 inches total).. the axles are taken care of, but does anyone know of longer tie rods that will fit? I know ea82 tie rods are about an inch longer, but thats still not enough for my application. any suggestions welcome.

(I could cut and weld yes, but I am trying to make them replaceable, plus I believe they are hardened steel that isnt so friendly to welding)

-Mike

ok, so has anyone else out there done some suspension modification where they need longer tie rods? I have an EA81 car with stock engine cradle and rack, but my control arms stick out 2 inches longer per side (4 inches total).. the axles are taken care of, but does anyone know of longer tie rods that will fit? I know ea82 tie rods are about an inch longer, but thats still not enough for my application. any suggestions welcome.

(I could cut and weld yes, but I am trying to make them replaceable, plus I believe they are hardened steel that isnt so friendly to welding)

-Mike

Cut, insert solid steel bar and then Try TIG welding it for less heat distortion.

Goodluck

I see what you're saying, you might want to try this one...

Go to your local steel yard/recycling, remnant store and look for 1" 5051 T6 (or better) aluminum round stock. I found one for $2.50 a lb. for my VW steering project (rack and pinion).

Took it to a machine shop for right and left hand tapped threads for IH tie rod ends, $30 for 4 ends.

I think Subarus has bigger tie rod ends than stock VWs and that's a plus.

Again, good luck and have fun

Del

That sounds like a good idea to me, I can see $30 being reasonable. Will aluminum, even though high grade, be able to hold up to that stress tho? were talking front mounted engine first of all, unlike the Vdub, and second theres these monster 28" SSR's on it, that I plan on using for baja style offroading. I suppose if I got some stainless however the machine shop might be able to come up with something

I'm sorry about my confusion RenMan, just looked down my Brat's steering and it's totally different than VWicon11.gif.

The ends are females, are they ball/sockets inside the rack?

I think you might have to go back to cut and weld idea.

Ever thinking of sleeving it with 4130 tubing?

I have realized that I will be faceing the same problem here very soon. What I was thinking is, are the threads on the EA81 interchangable with any other subaru? I imagine that subaru must have a longer tie rod end on some other subaru, but I realy have not investagated this yet. Has anyone else tried this route?

actually sitting under the car at the bone yard yesterday, I happened to glance at the tie rods on a 90 loyale, ea82, whatever... I already knew the inner tie rods were about an inch longer than ea81 style, but I also notices the outer tie rods seemed about an inch longer as well... could this be the two inches I need? I always thought the ea82 body style just had a longer rack and pinion to begin with, and thats what made up for the wider wheel base...

The reason the control arms are longer, is because with the stock wheelbase I could not get the struts to move in far enough so the camber would align properly (suspension lift in addition to body lift)... granted I did some hammering and got it to fit, but then I couldent put the brake booster back in..:banghead: (even with the hammering, the camber was too far off for my taste anyway)

I'll keep you updated when I figure out what I am going to do

granted I did some hammering and got it to fit, but then I couldent put the brake booster back in..:banghead:

Wow, thats alot of hammering :lol: My camber is less than desirable but i just said the hell with it, its not the end of the world. I have no suspension lift in the front but my custom a-arms ended up about 1/4" shorter than stock on each side, so that didnt help.

so if anyone is interested, I just did some measurements, and YAY!!!!

EA81 inner tie rods are 9 3/4"

outers are 5 1/8"

(14 7/8" total)

EA82 inner tie rods are 11 1/4

outers are 5 3/4"

(17" total)

which means 2 1/8" difference between the two... which is exactly perfect!

this deserves a dancin nana :banana:

So today was a day of "DOH!"

So my dimensions are all correct, however the inner tie rods threads going to the r&p are opposite from ea81 to ea82, so I would have to change the rack over as well, WHICH will coincidentally bolt right up to an ea81 cradle...

on the other side the outer tie rods have a smaller taper on the ea82 style, so if I changed over the knuckes to ea82, and switched back to the ea82 outer CV''s, In theory it would all bolt up... however... I have decided for simplicity sake, to go to the machine shop in the AM

so if anyone is interested, I just did some measurements, and YAY!!!!

EA81 inner tie rods are 9 3/4"

outers are 5 1/8"

(14 7/8" total)

EA82 inner tie rods are 11 1/4

outers are 5 3/4"

(17" total)

which means 2 1/8" difference between the two... which is exactly perfect!

this deserves a dancin nana :banana: