Ultimate Subaru Message Board

84 GL Wagon Fog light install - parts and questions

I have an 84 4WD wagon (1.8) and am looking to replace the foglights. Can I just use any old fog light out there? My lights are real dim, so I would like ideas on the brightest ones possible.

Can I just snip the existing wires near the old broken foglights and wire up the new ones (after disconnecting the battery, of course!). Any advice would be appreciated.

Those might be aftermarket foglights on there already. I have an '84 GL 4x4 D/R and it doesn't have factory fogs.

Agree you should be concerned if your headlamps are dim. They shouldn't be. Sounds like a problem that needs rectifying before proceeding. You can use any old volt meter to check voltages going to the headlamps. Might just be a ground wire problem but you want to be sure you don't have a mass of wires heating up and getting ready to case a problem in your wiring harness..

Harbor Freight has some decent fog lights with glass lenses. Pair on sale for $7.99 until end of the month if you have a Harbor Freight near you.

If all else fails, part that '84 GL 4x4 out and sell me the tranny cheap. ;)

thanks! I will check the voltage. And I want 400,000 out of my baby...only 140,000 miles left to go!

Those might be aftermarket foglights on there already. I have an '84 GL 4x4 D/R and it doesn't have factory fogs.

Agree you should be concerned if your headlamps are dim. They shouldn't be. Sounds like a problem that needs rectifying before proceeding. You can use any old volt meter to check voltages going to the headlamps. Might just be a ground wire problem but you want to be sure you don't have a mass of wires heating up and getting ready to case a problem in your wiring harness..

Harbor Freight has some decent fog lights with glass lenses. Pair on sale for $7.99 until end of the month if you have a Harbor Freight near you.

If all else fails, part that '84 GL 4x4 out and sell me the tranny cheap. ;)