Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'89 GL problem

Okay...It all started with coolant disappearing and no puddles. I got a couple head gaskets and went about changing them. The drivers side head was cracked. I got a reman. head and installed it. Assembled everything and it would not start. Checked the timing belts and they were off slightly. Fixed that, and now it starts, but it seems as though the timing may be off still. I put the #1 cyl. at TDC and the dist. rotor points to the #1 wire. I plug in the test harnesses by the firewall, and try and check timing and I don't see the timing marks. It idles okay, and will rev semi okay, but put it in drive and it runs worse. I am by no means a Subaru expert, I've had it since Spring, and it's my daily beater, I mean driver. My Chiltons(no I don't like them, it just came with the car) is not much help.

Any suggestions?

Timing is still off. Could be one tooth off at the dizzy. They are tricky to get on the right tooth. I'd restab the dizzy.

To aid in seeing your 20 degree BTDC mark on your flywheel take some chalk and mark the 20degree line. I used a white crayon. Really shows up good under that strobe light. Also helps if you paint a little on that arrow on the bellhousing.... if you have eyes as bad as mine atleast :)

Timing is still off. Could be one tooth off at the dizzy. They are tricky to get on the right tooth. I'd restab the dizzy.

To aid in seeing your 20 degree BTDC mark on your flywheel take some chalk and mark the 20degree line. I used a white crayon. Really shows up good under that strobe light. Also helps if you paint a little on that arrow on the bellhousing.... if you have eyes as bad as mine atleast :)

The 20* BTDC is currently marked in white, but it must be off enough that I don't see any timing marks. I could have sworn that the belts were dead on. What's the easiest/most reliable way of doing this?

Well, what we do know is that the timing is off. Either one or both of the belts is off a tooth or two, or the distributor is off a tooth.

Pull the T-belt covers off so you can see the alignment marks (sometimes a little mirror is helpful). Make dead sure that the marks line up exactly with the flywheel set to the T-belt alignment mark. Note: There are marks in the belt covers both above and below the sprockets. Due to the layout, it is much easier to tell if the timing is correct if you use the upper marks to check.

After doing that, move on to the distributor. If you still can't see the marks, it's off a tooth. With the engine running, move the disty back and forth to adjust the timing. If advancing the timing helps, you are a tooth retarded. If retarding helps, you are a tooth ahead. Once you have determined what needs to be done, carefully pull the disty out just enough to move it a tooth, reinstall, and fire it up.

I had the same story on my. Timing and everything was OK, but the engine didn' rev so well, and the idle was also rough. Measured the pressure in each cylinder, and that showed that something is wrong in the heads. 1 valve was bent, and 1 valve seat was dropped out, also the heads were extremely cracked.

Which I don't understand, is how could the engine start and run easily with these problems??

A simple pressure tester is a good help if you have no ideas what could be wrong.