Ultimate Subaru Message Board

what's wrong with this thing?!

I have some questions, and was wondering if someone can answer some, if not all of them. i dont know much about cars... and it shows.

1. I had both axles replaced at a Subaru dealership with brand new axles. I drive it 200 miles, and all of a sudden, boom a blown axle... I think it was the outer CV joint... so I take it back to the dealership and had another one installed for free, since the axle is on a year warranty. Give it another 200 miles of careful driving, and the other side does the same thing! speedo goes on up, but car just clunks from the axle and doesnt move. geez, whats up with the axles in these cars?!

2. also, i've noticed that going up to speeds like 55-65 or any higher, the steering wheel vibrates BAD. actually, the whole car does. i know the alignment is way off, which i am having done later today. but, can alignment cause this vibration, or is it something else? i have a hunch it's a lower ball joint but i am not sure with this car.

3. the temperature gauge reads at a bit above the middle... is that where it is supposed to be normally? i thought usually the gauge stands lower than that, but i'm not sure. when i go on the freeway, it rises a TINY bit, but stays in the middle range. doesnt go to the H, but i am still curious.

4. also, this car hesitates, driving up hills, driving on level ground, anywhere. i can be going like 35 and push the gas a bit more, and the car revs vrooooommm and wont kick in for like 3 seconds. what can be causing that?

5. when the car is cold, and i try to move it while cold, it hesitates like it wants to stall, it doesnt, but it wont pick up unless i slightly pump the gas pedal. what the hell is that...

6. and last thing... the car burns off coolant. maybe a cup a week or so. no coolant in oil, or oil in coolant. havent done a compression check, car doesnt overheat though, nor does it plume white smoke. theres no puddle or dampness on the passenger side. i cant even tell what that problem is.

honestly, i cant believe this crap... i buy this car off of an older man for $1500... it's a 1988 subaru dl, ea82 non turbo, automatic transmission, and just hit 100,000 miles. no rust, clean car inside and out. but geez, this thing has more problems than my old car! (a 1985 Ford Tempo with 260,000 on the clock at that!) i am going to have to drive this stupid subaru 850 miles to get to santa fe, new mexico from los angeles and i'm more worried about something breaking down on this damn thing than i did with my tempo... and believe me this tempo was a piece of work!

am i just flipping out?! what should i do?

Hey,

for the first couple, if the alignment doesn't help, I think I'd check the engine/tranny mounts and make sure they're still alright. I'd imagine they could cause vibration/blown axles pretty easily.

3. Heat gauge in the middle is just fine.

4. I have no experience with autos, but have you tried the basic tuneup stuff, ie, new cap, rotor, plugs, wires? they helped my car when I first did them after who knows how many miles.

6. I've heard of people having real little holes in some of the coolant lines on the top of the engine. They leak about a cup a week, but little enough that it evaporates off the top of the block before hitting the ground.

good luck.

I'll throw in my 2 bits about a few of the topics:

2. Definitely get the alignment done!! Ball joints and engine mouunts can also cause vibrations, but so can unbalanced tires. Do you know when the last time your tires were balanced? Are there balancing weights on the rims & do they look like they were put on years ago? If you think it has been a while, balancing the tires can make a BIG difference for pretty cheap (it did for me).

3. Middle of the gauge is OK. You can bring it down by using a lower temp (180F) thermostat if it makes you feel better. I run mine little cooler - more like 1/3 level of the gauge. Keep in mind these gauges are not necessarily all that accurate also.

4. Sounds like the tranny and not the motor. Don't know much about AT's.

5. These cars are notorious for not running too well when cold. A regular tune-up (cap, rotor, wires, plugs, oil & filter & air filter) is always a good idea if it hasn't been done in a while. Might help this as well as #4 if it not a tranny problem. I always let my car warm up for a couple of minutes - especially in the winter.

6. Get up to operating temp and take a really good look at all the hoses under the hood for small leaks. Can you smell any coolant when running?

A compression test is always a good idea - it can tell you alot.

Good luck and don't give up hope. These are great cars that will go forever with a little TLC and maintenance.

sooby automatics are know for being gutless.. its a DL so I'm pretty sure thats the 3 speed AT. Those things are horrible.. As for the not moving when its cold, check the AT fluid. could be low. all a automatic tranny is, is a built up hydrailic pump. low fluid= low flow and pressure..

change the fuel filter. that could be causing hesistation.. so could bad plugs and wires. my car looses coolant like yours and I'm leaning towards a leak in the heater core. do your windows have a flim covering (inside the car) them that makes it hard to see?

Well after a couple of days of the car being in the shop and a little bit of money spent, i had the following things done:

* front wheel alignment

* transmission flush and filter replace

* compression check (good compression the mechanic says)

* axles checked, mechanic says they are good

*both lower ball joints replaced, the boots were torn and all the grease was gone

*a major tune up which the mechanic replaced all the sensors, installed platinum spark plugs, and new wires, a new rotor and cap, and also replaced the timing belt, which had never been replaced on the car.

* alternator replaced

* new cat converter and new muffler installed

* all new fan belts

well i've gotta say... this car runs like new now! it's a dream come true :banana:

now i'm just hoping something else dont happen any time soon...

okay... now i have something else to ask.

under the hood, by the firewall on the driver's side, there is a couple of green connectors. they seem like they can plug into each other, but i havent touched them just because i dont want to break anything. they arent connected. can someone possibly tell me what they are for? is it something i should worry about?

also... i took the panel off of under my steering column to check the ECU. it flashes red maybe every second or so. is it throwing me codes, or is that just test mode? no check engine light, no malfunctions as i can see... but what's that red light doing there flashing?

sorry if i may seem paranoid about the good old subie but i can tell ya right now... i have to drive this car to new mexico from los angeles and believe me, me and I-40 havent got along on the past few trips i've made. :-\