Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How sensitive are these cars to a bad O2 sensor?

Just looking over a list of parts I might want to replace when I tune my car up. Currently I have another carb on the way from a fellow member here, and I plan on doing plugs (wires/cap and rotor were just done recently). Now I know these unheated 02 sensors dont last long. But I am also not sure how much it would be effecting my fuel mileage on my 85 carbed wagon. Because I currently get pretty bad mileage in the city, and great on the freeway. My Jetta hates to run without a good O2 sensor... so just thought I'd ask bout the sub.

i've removed O2 sensors or disconnected them from more than one XT6 and they run just fine. gas mileage drops some, but nothing atrocious. if it's never been replaced, best to replace it as it can lower gas mileage some if you're worried about it. if the car ever had major problems, coolant loss, lots of additives thrown into the gas tank they may degrade the O2 sensor some. why not just replace it and be done with it?

EA82 SPFI

Havent ran one for years. MPG suffers but not nearly as bad as when I put on big tires :-p

If you can; replace it for sure. Not expensive as it's pretty much a generic one wire O2 sensor. Prolly cost you more to buy the O2 sensor socket than the sensor itself. Special socket isnt always required; proper sized open end wrench will do the trick also.