Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea81 pititng in bore

Ross

where exactly is the pitting? anyone want to slap an arrow on the picture?

what causes it?

The pitting is the dull area on hte bore, at the bottom of the pic. It is a form of corrosion, and is called pitting because it consists of many small holes or "pits".

In this case, id say it was caused by who ever took hte heads off. When they are taken off htere is usually some water left in the passges, and it can end up sitting in the bore. This can also happen when a head gasket is blown and the engine is left sitting.

I'd bore it out.

Especially if I wanted to make the most power possible, and didn't wanna burn oil.

It'll run the way it is, if you don't want to spend the money.

Is that a crank jounal in the next pic? I'd definately have that polished.

since that crank looks bad, id say that it had water in it at some time, like a blown head gasket.

the water washes away the oil, and lets metal to metal contact happen. this is the only reason i wont drive on a blown head gasket. lower end problems. it can wear it out so bad, that your oil pressure wont get high enough, because of huge amounts of play in your lower end bearings.

just letting a motor sit for 6 months or so can give you pitting. looks like the ring rusted to the sleve for a while too.

I changed my thermostat as soon as it started getting cold out, Damn thing was defective and over heated.

After i changed the thermostat again i noticed that it was smoking ALOT!, Checked the oil a few days later and sure thing, Water in my oil.

I pulled the motor and changed head gaskets.

After getting the heads off i saw that #4 cylinder was pitted way worse than the pic above yet the other Cylders looked perfect, No sighns of wear at all!.

I just dropped it back in with the new head gaskets and called it good, I am using about 1 Qrt. a week and it's not leaking anywhere.

I'll have a new motor by spring anyway.

~CHIM~