Ultimate Subaru Message Board

91 Loyale Idle inconsistant

91 loyale almost 180,000 miles. After searching for some time I was unable to come up with a solution. Recently instead of my idle going right back down to 750 it kind of huvers at around 1000-1300 then finals at its own will drops back down to where it should be. I did have a problem with my idle surging and the engine light coming on, Thier were many threads about that and I wonder if this could be the same kind of thing? Also set my ignition timing, could I have done that wrong? Oh and it has been pretty cold here in alaska recently not sure what kind of effect that could have. Thanks Josh

Winter is so harsh on cars :( I would start by looking for a vacume leak. With as cold as it gets up there a hose could have easily cracked or snapped off. Strategicly squirt little bursts of ether (starting fluid) around your engine bay as its ideling. The idle will surge if it sucks any of the ether in through a leak.

Throttle Position Sensor is another possibility. Make sure the wire harnes plug is on securly, all the wires are in good shape there, and that the TPS itself is secured to the throttle body.

Some things to start with :)

It was the second time the egr solinoid went out, the first time for sure as soon as I plugged the new one in the light went out. I'm pretty sure it did the same this time as well. I havn't made it out I have a damned geology exam tonight so I'm kind of stuck.

Question on timing, when using timing light do you want the mark lined up with 0 or did I miss understand that? Thanks man for the help

timing light on a sooby.. unplug the vaccumn advance, set to 800 rpms, hook the pickup wire onto the number 1 spark plug wire. point the gun with the trigger down at the hole in the bellhousing where you can see the marks. the flashes will show a line where your timing is

0 means 0 degrees timing.. you have a SPFI EA82 so yours should be @ 20 degrees

Slightly different here on a Loyale....SPFI so no vacume advance. Plug in the two green connecters under the hood up by your fuel filter on the drivers side. This will keep the computer from trying to advance your timing.

The rest of what Torxxx is describing is dead on. Prolly need to reset your timing if you set it to 0 instead of 20. I find it helps to use a white crayon or chalk to mark the 20 degree line. REALLY shows up under that strobe light.... better than a dirty, crusty old flywheel :)

Oh don't forget to unplug those connectors when you are done. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
timing light on a sooby.. unplug the vaccumn advance, set to 800 rpms, hook the pickup wire onto the number 1 spark plug wire. point the gun with the trigger down at the hole in the bellhousing where you can see the marks. the flashes will show a line where your timing is

0 means 0 degrees timing.. you have a SPFI EA82 so yours should be @ 20 degrees

How do you actually change the timing? Do you twist the dist? And if so which direction? Really pinging bad under load and want to try a timing adjustment to fix it, thanks!