Ultimate Subaru Message Board

twe techworks header wrap

i'd wrap it...or atleast part of it.

I think it's important to wrap the "up-pipe" portion where the tubes run in close proximity to the head and there are oil and coolant lines back there.

I wouldn't worry about cracking..if it's gonna crack it's going to crack...that's what a welder is for...

when i made my header...i wrapped the "up-pipe" portion, and right by the oil filter.

You don't want to use header wrap and less you plan on replacing the header over and over again. If you want the same advantages without having your header pipe suffer from heat fatigue or cracks, then you need to get it performance coated.

what are the radiant heat properties of stainless steel vs. cast iron?

I am worried about heat from the new header to get to the passenger side head and oil filter, and other engine parts.

If stainless steel doesn't radiate any more heat than iron, then I won't worry about it, and won't worry about getting header wrap...

SS stays hot once up to temp, esp. with the thicker wall tubing the TWE pipes has. I was going to heat wrap but have decided againts it, If you're driving through heavy rain and mist then the pipes would cool a bit and some charge would be lost but for 98% of your driving i thing bare pipes are fine. I've been cruising through very deep snow and could not notice any difference even when the whole front end [and headers] were jammed up with snow.

If anything as said above wrap the collector area just below the turbo to about 18" down, and in front of the oil pan[ I didn't do in front of the pan cause I have a remote oil filter and oil cooler].

I am worried about heat from the new header to get to the passenger side head and oil filter, and other engine parts.

The stock header radiates alot of heat probly comparable to the TWE, try installing a 6" by 12" very thin sheet of metal, punch two holes in it on the one long edge that line up with the two bolt holes on the bottom of your timing belt cover in behind your header in front of your oil pan. Pull the bolts out insert tin and voila Heat shield and if you have a leaky oil pan or gaskets then oil wont drip onto your crossover. Cost maybe $5. Then if you do bey wrap you only need a small amount to do by the head.

That "dent's" supposed to be there don't remember why but I asked about it cause both pair of my header's had it. :)

oK, thanks, I was kinda wondering if it was supposed to. It's just a little odd.

Ok, found this place nearby that does good work for good prices. http://www.performancecoatings.com/ So, I might take my exhaust from both my subies down there.

:)