Ultimate Subaru Message Board

lifted 2wd -my first stupid idea

Anybody done this, or seen it done?

I know this is probably stupid and a waste of time and money, BUT I have about everything I need to do a lift, except for the steering shaft (still have to figure out something with that) and I've got a shot at picking up some 6x5.5 pattern wheels for trading some parts I've got out in the garage. So it would be really close to a free deal, and I've got PLENTY of time. I like the lifted look but I dont have the money to go to 4wd

i had a 2wd adn i lifted it and converted to 4wd at the same time. i bilt my lift, had to fabricate, not too hard to do, simple in principle.

so what kind of parts do you have to use? you can fit some later model parts if you need too, such as rear diffs, trailing arms, and brakes. the parts dont have to come from a hatch to fit

I amassed parts then did the 4WD conversion and lift kit all at the same time. It makes a lot more sense and is less work. To put in the lift kit you are going to need to take out everything that the 4WD conversion is going to require also. No sense in pulling it all off, putting in a lift kit, bolting it all back together; then pulling it all off and converting it 4WD later.

Junkyards were my big cost saver for converting to 4WD. 5MT Dual Range was $100, complete rear subframe assembly was $30 (got it at a Pull-a-Thon! had to carry it 30 yards to get it for $30) driveshaft was $15, pug rims were $100, and the biggest cost ? Tires.... $215 and liftkit... $300.

Also you didnt mention what Subaru we are talking about here speicifcly. I'm describing what I did to an EA82, 1988 GL wagon.

i had a 2wd adn i lifted it and converted to 4wd at the same time. i bilt my lift, had to fabricate, not too hard to do, simple in principle.

so what kind of parts do you have to use? you can fit some later model parts if you need too, such as rear diffs, trailing arms, and brakes. the parts dont have to come from a hatch to fit

Miles, This is Gary in Cleveland, I think I messed up your last reply. SORRY!! I hit a wrong button on this 'puter and BAM, it was gone..........Your message was about meeting somewhere between Sidney and Columbus, Ohio. If you remember anything please post it again. I really am sorry. Gary :)

Miles, This is Gary in Cleveland, I think I messed up your last reply. SORRY!! I hit a wrong button on this 'puter and BAM, it was gone..........Your message was about meeting somewhere between Sidney and Columbus, Ohio. If you remember anything please post it again. I really am sorry. Gary :)
NEVER MIND...........I SEE WHAT HAPPENED.....YOUR OTHER MESSAGE IS ON A DIFFERENT THREAD.......I MUST BE FEAKKKIN' OUT... THIS 50 SOMETHING IS KILLLIN ME!!!!!!!!!!!:lol:

jim (86subaru) lives between anna and sidney oh, exit 94 off 75, about 3 mi north of the exit.

i go to jims quite often, and sometimes to columbus too. right now my license is suspendid till april, but jim comes to pick me up from fort wayne, and i stay the weekend there and work on soobs. if ever i am at jims you can meet with us there! hollar at jim, too, or alleyboy. all 3 of us meet quite often and collectively sit on a goldmine of parts ans subaru goodies!

jim (86subaru) lives between anna and sidney oh, exit 94 off 75, about 3 mi north of the exit.

i go to jims quite often, and sometimes to columbus too. right now my license is suspendid till april, but jim comes to pick me up from fort wayne, and i stay the weekend there and work on soobs. if ever i am at jims you can meet with us there! hollar at jim, too, or alleyboy. all 3 of us meet quite often and collectively sit on a goldmine of parts ans subaru goodies!

Fort Wanye..... I'm only a half hour from fort wayne

Fox, i should have said that I had most of the MATERIALS for the lift, no actual parts, lol, don't even have the car yet, the guy is STILL dragging his feet, said he wanted my car really bad, and he'd have the cash by tuesday, well, I talked to him last night and he SAYS he still wants it and is still trying to get the money. Said it SHOULD be today, but its getting kinda late in the day and havent heard from him yet, not a good sign :[

i personally wouldnt bother to lift a 2wd, at least not a front wd if u plan on doing any serious mudding, my last 2 offroad fun vehicles were a 89 2wd astrovan with a 5 inch lift and 31 10.50 at's , and a 91 plymouth laser fwd with about a 2 inch lift on it,and if i remember right i was running 245 70 14's at's on that. a soob may do much better with just 2wd ,but my laser didnt do well at all. any time i got into anything remotely serious i was dragging out the comealong to get it back out and i personally think it did lousy in the simplist of offroad terrain. but like i said it wasnt a soob so that may be different.now the van was a different story though that thing was about bulletproof i think i only had to use the comalong once and that was only because i tried to drive through some ruts that were almost 2 feet deep and got the crossmember stuck on the middle. anyways i would suggest doing the 4x4 conversion myself that way you could have a lot more fun offroad with it