Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New Subaru Owner

This is my first subaru and so I don't know anything about them other than they are great cars! I just picked up a 1986 GL-10 turbo. The previous owner states that there is something wrong with the shift on the fly. You need to come to a stop before engaging the 4wd and taking it out of 4wd. Is this true? Or is there a problem. I thought that you could just push the button and off you go in 4wd. If so do any of you have any knowledge of what to do to fix the problem. Thanks!!!

yeah the 4wd is vacuum operated. you will see a diaphragm on the side of the tranny. there are 2 lines that run to the solenoid switches on the firewall. trace the lines along the firewall and find the vacuum canister. this will connect to a skiinny hose going to the motor, make sure its hooked up

does all the heater selections blow out the dash only? this is a tell tale sign of this vacuum hose being loose

you can shift the 4wd at any speed in and out, the mechanism will react usually as you are off the gas, so you free load either wayu and it will go. its easiest to go in and out iod 4wd as you are shifting a gear, hit the button as the clutch is in