Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Wierd performance after installing tires/rims...

Noticed today that the rear end likes to kick out alittle more (maybe its just me pushing the car harder) but it felt as if the rear was tracking to the right. Ive noticed that the car likes to drift more as well... it will follow the groves in the road more. I suspect its cause the tires are 195's and grippier, but feels as if the steering is spongy, so sometimes I over-correct when I try to pull out of the groves.

The RX used to be very nimble with the 13" rims and 185's, i could turn on a dime and it was pin-point accuracy. Now all of that has seemed to change... car is getting alittle sloppy. :-\

Anyone have any idea's how to fix this without going back to ugly 13" steel rims?

-Brian

hey brian,

dble check tire pressure, incorrect inflation can be a huge thing.

check rear sway bar for looseness

also, shocks could be wearring out.

my bro's and I have learned a bit from last season and tires are a HUGE thing....

sizes, treads, compounds have a profound effect.

we gotta hook up soon. will be in tahoe next Saturday boardin.......hint!

-shanonsf

I really should. Chances are the shop who did the tires left one low. My front struts are also getting worn bad. I will have to get some XT struts to replace them with.

I'll be working Saturday until 5pm. Sunday until 2pm. I only get one day off a week now until we hire more guys... so trying to do anything soon will be a hassle.

Ive been down to SF a few times, and actually pretty close to your pad, was going to call you but figured you were busy. Maybe this wednesday I can make a day trip down there... Gotta switch up on the Junkyards anyhow :)

-Brian

You could put rubber strut spring spacers in the front and rear, give you about 1" lift but more important it would make things way stiffer, I ran the piss out of an 86 with these on and had no cv issues at all. The difference in handling was enough that some my friends asked if I had the front end done.

About $25 for all 4.

Air pressure.

Also, shoter sidewall tires and larger rims on a car that has small rims an tall sidewalls makes that car handle profoundly different.

2002 WRX...going from the 205/55/16 to a 2xx(cant remember it it was 205 or 225)/45/17 make the car VERY pointy and follow the grooves...pull around in the grooves...the more air I run in the 205/60/13's on my RX, the more pointy it gets.

So, check the air pressure, check the alignment. XT struts up front will drop an RX A TON....but in the back jack it up BADLY.

Seriously doubt anything is bent or broken. The car was on rails before the tire swap. I have yet to check the tire pressure, but Im going to. The car is starting to veer to the right when i brake...

I found a set of XT struts, im not going to mess with my rear struts but Im planning on keeping the RX springs.

-Brian