Ultimate Subaru Message Board

88 gl tail lights dont work

well i got pulled over for the first time today and it was for my damn tail lights.

I dont know where they have come unconnected but they dont work they work when i hit the brakes and when i put my parking break on but when im just driving with my lights on the lights dont work.

My dash lights dont work and I havent been able to figure this out. the closest that ive come is to link it to the dimmer switch on my dash. I've pulled the switch and looked at the hook up but i couldnt figure out what was wrong.

this probably caused my break lights not to work and I want to fix them but i dont know where

have you checked your fuses yet?

IIRC, they have it setup so your dash lights are on the same circuit as your tail lights, so that way you'll know if your tail lights are out.

That'd be first thing to check. If it is blown, and blows again after you replace, then we can troubleshoot some more :)

My tail lights quit somewhere between Tacoma and portland on my trip to Texas. Turns out theres a short in the combo switch on the steering column.

Since I was in a hurry and needed to get back on the road, I hot wired the tail lights so they come on with the key. it hs worked so well that, almost 2 years later they are still like that

Does your left headlight work? Is your left headlight dim? The taillights, dashlights and left headlight are on the same circuit. Make sure to check your headlight relays next to the steering column under the dash. I bet one of them is burned out.

Klaus

If you don't have a test light probe then go to the store and get one for under 10 dollars. You need this and will be glad you have it. With it you can then check where voltage is getting to and where it isn't. There is no guessing then. You can check the fuses by placing the probe tip on the little test holes of the fuses to check for power through them.

From your statements it appears that the brake lights are working ok. You don't say if the front running lights are working but I assume they are out also since the dash lights are not working also. If the fuses are fine then my first hunch would be to check the light switch and see if that is ok. I have a manual for an '88 if you need some info.