Ultimate Subaru Message Board

One man brake fluid bleeder???

There is a cheap (10-15 bucks) unit out there. a cup (resevoir) attaches magnetically to the wheel & has a tube running from the bleed valve. I never used it for brakes (I tried to syphon some over filled oil) but it would appear to keep air out by keeping the brake fluid in the brake lines via the resevoir.... I would think some rubber hose (right diameter) & a jar of brake fluid would do the same.

Later.

Peter

Get the handi-vac. They are about $20.00 but you can use them for a ton of things.

You simply slide the wrench over the screw attach the proper fitting to the end of the tube (included), pump the handle a couple times to build pressure and then crack the screw. The vacum sucks the air out very well.

Hope this helps.

Thats odd...I bought mine at autozone.

My bad. It's called a mityvac. I feel terrible for telling you the wrong name.

I know they sell them at autozone.

http://www.mityvac.com

there you can get a better description.

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?UseCase=C001&UserAction=performSearch&Parameters=Auto+Store%7C%7EREGULAR+PARTS+LOOK+UP%7C%7EBLEEDER%2FVACUUM+PUMP+-+TOOL

I paid less than the website says.

I second the speedbleeders. Don't leave 'em exposed to the elements though. Make caps from a short piece of silicone tubing with a screw in the end.

Rubber caps (like vaccum fitting caps) won't last 'cause the brake fluid eats the rubber.

I second the speedbleeders. Don't leave 'em exposed to the elements though. Make caps from a short piece of silicone tubing with a screw in the end.

Rubber caps (like vaccum fitting caps) won't last 'cause the brake fluid eats the rubber.

Good call man; I should do that on mine. I dont want them getting all clogged up and rusted. Prolly too late now with winter here! :(

Speed bleeders are good but can only be used for bleeding your brakes. If you want to go this route then I will reccomend it too. If you decide to get the hand operated vacum pump then I will reccoment this as well. Like I said before it can be used for many, many things...not just bleeding. And besides, you can use it on any vehicle at anytime.

Just tell them you are looking for a hand operated vacum pump.

If you print out a picture of the mityvac from the website then bring it to them they will get it for you.

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?UseCase=C001&UserAction=performMoreDetail&Parameters=TRUE%7C%7EBLEEDER%2FVACUUM+PUMP+-+TOOL%7C%7ENONE%7C%7EOEM_PURCHASE%7C%7ENONE%7C%7EFALSE%7C%7EFALSE%7C%7E70116%7C%7E1231%7C%7E25136%7C%7EINCLUDES%3A+HAND+OPERATED+VACUUM+PUMP%2C+HOSES%2C+ASSORTED++%0AFITTINGS+AND+INSTRUCTIONS.%7C%7E%2429.99%7C%7ESUBARU%7C%7ELEGACY%7C%7E1990%7C%7ELLT%7C%7E1.25%7C%7EEA%7C%7EB

Go to this link and print the page out. Take this to the part store.

I forgot to mention you can burp your cooling system with the mityvac. Not to mention check vacum selenoids, and start syphons really well. There are a million other uses but I can't think of them at the moment. The site has more.

Make sure the one you buy is plastic, comes with the fluid cup and all the attachments.

• 1 month later...

If brake fluid ate rubber, the brake system seals would fail in no time.