Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Oil Pressure sender probs...

Ok, so I added a quart of MMO to the oil when it was down a quart. HLA's don't chatter near as long as they used to. Now a new issue...after sitting in the cold, either overnight or during my shift @ work, about 30 seconds after initial startup the oil light comes on. Stays on for about a minute then goes off after I rev the engine to kick down to 2nd idle.

Here's my question...could the sender have gunk in it after running the MMO that would cause it to come on at the wrong pressure? Other than the HLA's there is no different noise from the engine when the light is on. Now sometimes the pitch of the clattering will change slightly when the light goes off. But there is no other noise than the HLA's.

Within the past 2 days I've noticed that after running the highway for 20 min then get off at the exit ramp I can faintly see the light when idling. This only happens at night when there is a real draw on the engine. Then after a few minutes of back road driving, when I stop, no hint of oil light (I assume the oil has cooled down a bit). Very confusing...any feedback would be helpful. I'm running 10w30 and MMO.

check your oil frequently after using MMO or ATF in your oil. they tend to dirty oil quicker than normal and an oil change could be called for before your normal oil change interval.

can you go 3,000 miles without loosing any oil? if your pressure/tapping is due to loss in oil pressure then the MMO won't fix the problem. has your oil pump ever been resealed? MMO is great for dirty or stuck HLA's, but won't do anything for your oil pump seals.

That idiot light is useless in my opinion. I ended up tapping the hole in the oil pump for the sending unit with a 1/8 NPT tap and installed a mechanical oil pressure guage. Gives lots more feedback as to what's going on with the engine.

113_1358.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=611