Ultimate Subaru Message Board

front end "wobble"

my car developed a new problem, it came on suddenly, I have no idea what could have caused it, didnt hit any potholes or curbs or anything like that. At slow speeds, the steering wheel will pull back and forth , at first I thought I had a flat tire, but the tire pressures were good all the way around. After a certain speed its not as bad, but it will still pull to one side for a while, then pull to the other side for a while, then sometimes go straight for a while.

what the !@#$!@$!?????

if it makes any difference, its an ea81

>> After a certain speed its not as bad, but it will still pull to one side for a while, then pull to the other side for a while, then sometimes go straight for a while.

If "a while" is "every revolution of the wheels", then this sounds like classic tread separation in a front tire.

OTOH, if "a while" is "every 500 feet", then yeh it sounds like mechanical steering problems.

-- Mark

its not the road, it started on a road I've driven down many times, and it does it everywhere.

as far as the bolts, sorry for my ignorance, but do you by any chance know where I can find a picture of exactly where you are talking about, not sure which bolts you mean :[

BAD AXLE replace the one on the front right. the wheel will jerk to the right as the cv binds up and takes the wheel out you hand if you aint lookin'

if it were the inner side you would feel it in the wheel upon accel or decel, torque against the motor and driveline

the axle will hold out for a little while. if it gets so bad it pulls the wheel try reversing at full loick to center the bearings. add some grease to prolong it

if you will be going with ea82 setup then you should look into an ea82 axle

solved the problem, or it solved itself, maybe coincidence. The right front tire had fix a flat in it, and I've heard lots of horror stories about it, so I tried changing that with another wheel and tire, and the problem went away. If it was the fix a flat, I can't figure why I drove it for about a week before the wobble started and then it happened suddenly. If it wasnt the fix a flat I have no idea why the wobble stopped

solved the problem, or it solved itself, maybe coincidence. The right front tire had fix a flat in it, and I've heard lots of horror stories about it, so I tried changing that with another wheel and tire, and the problem went away. If it was the fix a flat, I can't figure why I drove it for about a week before the wobble started and then it happened suddenly. If it wasnt the fix a flat I have no idea why the wobble stopped

It was your wheel/tire balance then. That stuff works great; used it many times. I've also seen the inside of tires that used it. It coats the inside of your tires with a sticky substance. Well that can lump and clump up in a spot causing a large buildup in one area. This will throw off your wheel balance.

I have this problem about once every year and a half. it's always been the tire rods. I own an 85 gl hatchback 4wd. if it is the tire rods make sure you bring it to a good mechanic. i brought it twice to a "not so good" mechanic and i think they did more harm than good. good luck with the problem.

-cw

my car developed a new problem, it came on suddenly, I have no idea what could have caused it, didnt hit any potholes or curbs or anything like that. At slow speeds, the steering wheel will pull back and forth , at first I thought I had a flat tire, but the tire pressures were good all the way around. After a certain speed its not as bad, but it will still pull to one side for a while, then pull to the other side for a while, then sometimes go straight for a while.

what the !@#$!@$!?????

if it makes any difference, its an ea81