Ultimate Subaru Message Board

advice for 85' GL hatchback

i am currently thinking about dropping a turbo engine in my 85 subaru gl hatchback 4wd. i was wondering if it is possible to do this with this year / make. i have tried looking to see if they made a turbo in this year / model and have had no success. any help would be greatly appreciated.

cheers,

-cw

hey Qman,

thanks for replying so quickly. it's a four cylinder, carb, and has manual trans. i take it up to tahoe all the time but with the size of the engine / higher altitude = less oxygen, i can only do 45 mph on the steeper hills.

you think it's worth pursuing?

More info would be beneficial. Engine type and trans would be the most help. Turbo motors have been retrofit into most Subaru's at this time. But more info will let us give you more detailed info in return.

Does anybody know if they made the 3-door in 1985?

I'm not positive which model the car is, as Subaru produced what we here refer to as the hatchback from 1980-1989 (I think) as well as a different car that is often called a hatchback for a few years later on. They have different body styles and powertrains, which makes engine swaps a different story for each rig. You can tell the difference very easily by the engine code, which is stamped on the front of the block in the middle. If it says EA81, then it's a hatchback, and if it says EA82, it's a 3-door.

For a hatchback, you can swap in the turbo version of that EA81 engine from a station wagon, sedan, or brat relatively easily. It is also possible to swap in the later EA82 turbo engine, but it is wider and you have to sort of shoehorn it in a bit. It has been done many times though.

If it's a 3-door, an EA82 turbo engine can be swapped in with ease.

THANK YOU!! so very much for the helpful info. Do you know of any good resources to find motors?

-cw

Does anybody know if they made the 3-door in 1985?

I'm not positive which model the car is, as Subaru produced what we here refer to as the hatchback from 1980-1989 (I think) as well as a different car that is often called a hatchback for a few years later on. They have different body styles and powertrains, which makes engine swaps a different story for each rig. You can tell the difference very easily by the engine code, which is stamped on the front of the block in the middle. If it says EA81, then it's a hatchback, and if it says EA82, it's a 3-door.

For a hatchback, you can swap in the turbo version of that EA81 engine from a station wagon, sedan, or brat relatively easily. It is also possible to swap in the later EA82 turbo engine, but it is wider and you have to sort of shoehorn it in a bit. It has been done many times though.

If it's a 3-door, an EA82 turbo engine can be swapped in with ease.

Chris .....

Sounds Like you have the Early Gen Hatch or What we Fondly refer to here as THE HATCH..the 3 Door is a Newer Gen 86-90 kinda thing.....A Turbo Motor can be swpped in.....

You have several Options though in Motor swap in Mods.....

First would Be an EA-81 TURBO ...This is the same Generation Motor to what you have now, but with turbo .....With intake and Exhaust work this Motor rocks.....I built a 3" Lifted Wagon with one and Sold it To Noah in Montana....He is Loving it still.....

To do this Mod you will Need a Donor Car for the Engine and Wiring harness....OR you will have to do some very custom wiring yourself....????

Second would be to swap in an EA-82 Turbo This has only been done once into your age of car that I know of, and ITs a big pain.....Wouldn't suggest it......

3rd.....Is to swap in a EJ-18 or EJ-22 motor out of an Impreza or Legacy.....I've Personally done this To my Own Hatch as well as A wagon, and I am getting ready to do it 3 More times in the next few Months......this Swap will gain you MPFI.....a gai of 30-45 hp stock, IT's been done many times Now, and The Engines Fit the bay nicely........ :slobber::D

If your interested, call me , I can give you more info on the phone.... 541-206-2494

Talk soon, John

Hey John,

Thanks so much for the info. First i am going to check the # on the engine block and see what will work. Unfortuantely I don't have the tools or the advanced knowledge of dropping a new engine in my gal so I am going to have my mechanic take an overall look. I'm hoping this will not cost too much as I am not the richest person in the world.

Thanks again for your help!

Chris .....

Sounds Like you have the Early Gen Hatch or What we Fondly refer to here as THE HATCH..the 3 Door is a Newer Gen 86-90 kinda thing.....A Turbo Motor can be swpped in.....

You have several Options though in Motor swap in Mods.....

First would Be an EA-81 TURBO ...This is the same Generation Motor to what you have now, but with turbo .....With intake and Exhaust work this Motor rocks.....I built a 3" Lifted Wagon with one and Sold it To Noah in Montana....He is Loving it still.....

To do this Mod you will Need a Donor Car for the Engine and Wiring harness....OR you will have to do some very custom wiring yourself....????

Second would be to swap in an EA-82 Turbo This has only been done once into your age of car that I know of, and ITs a big pain.....Wouldn't suggest it......

3rd.....Is to swap in a EJ-18 or EJ-22 motor out of an Impreza or Legacy.....I've Personally done this To my Own Hatch as well as A wagon, and I am getting ready to do it 3 More times in the next few Months......this Swap will gain you MPFI.....a gai of 30-45 hp stock, IT's been done many times Now, and The Engines Fit the bay nicely........ :slobber::D

If your interested, call me , I can give you more info on the phone.... 541-206-2494

Talk soon, John