Ultimate Subaru Message Board

very curious!!!

i have a '86 soobie GL wagon ( i love it ) i'm trying to modify it into an offroader. ( in time ) first some questions: i've read on some posts on something about adding a hose or a sort of breather for the tranny or differential, how do u do that and whats the purpose?? does it make a difference whether or not the car has all it's air, pvc, filters? if i get a regular size 13" tire for a spare (for now) how the heck do u fit it in the engine compartment? are ngk spark plugs really good? what bout the oil filter? can i remove the a/c compressor along with that belt and still use the car with the other belt alone? one last thing for now... does anyone have pics of their projects or finished mods??? i added a fire extinguisher and fog lites and other goodies. any other ideas aside from the lift??? thanks guys, alot of help. baggyshorts

i have a '86 soobie GL wagon ( i love it ) i'm trying to modify it into an offroader. ( in time ) first some questions: i've read on some posts on something about adding a hose or a sort of breather for the tranny or differential, how do u do that and whats the purpose?? does it make a difference whether or not the car has all it's air, pvc, filters? if i get a regular size 13" tire for a spare (for now) how the heck do u fit it in the engine compartment? are ngk spark plugs really good? what bout the oil filter? can i remove the a/c compressor along with that belt and still use the car with the other belt alone? one last thing for now... does anyone have pics of their projects or finished mods??? i added a fire extinguisher and fog lites and other goodies. any other ideas aside from the lift??? thanks guys, alot of help. baggyshorts

a 13 inch tire up to 185s will fit under the hood with some shoving

If a Full Size Spare (13" tire) wont fit, just remove the cross brace that is bolted to the strut towers. Its there to support the T-Type spare, but the 13" will fit snug in there w/out the brace.

NGK's are the best! Dont believe any of the hype of "hi performance spark plugs". In the Subaru world, there's only NGK.

Yes, you can remove the AC compressor and belt, and operate with just the Alt & Power STeering belts.

A diff breather is useful when your submerse your rear diff in water. There is a standard breather valve at the top of your rear diff. You can remove it and just run some hose from it. Its not that necessary, ive run plenty of rear diffs w/out a breather tube, and sunk PLENTY of rear diffs. Ive never had any problems, not a major concern.

And if your looking for pix, just click on the image of my lifted wagon :) There are PLENTY of pix documenting its transformation.

-Brian

the 185 tire will fit with no problems under the hood, You should run all your filters, extended diff breathers arn't a bad idea if you are going to frequent deep water, as far as exploring off road, have good tow points, carry at least 1 good tow strap, shovle, and a jack. A few spare parts, like belts, air filter a couple of quarts of oil, and of course a few basic tool. Hope this helps.