Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 + Tranny through the engine bay.

Bro

In my experience it is faster not to use a hoist. If you unbolt the engine two people can snatch it out by hand and the same for the tranny. It takes me about 45 min to get both out.

If anyone has pulled the EA81 and tranny through the engine bay with a hoist, please share your experience.

cheers

Paul

pulling the whole shabang can be a pain in the rump roast. first you have to take off the starter. then you have to try to hoist the whole works out at a good 45 degree angle, while dripping gear olil all over you ride as the rig gets hung up on the spare tire well. it s really not a time saving feature and it can actuall take you longer and be more headache. and on top of all that you will probably find yourself having to jack the car WAY in the air to get the 45 degree angle without the tail end of the tranny dragging the ground and hanging up. if the spare tire wasnt under the hood and the firewall wasnt designed like it is then it would seem reasonable, but trust me, its not the way to go with a SUBARU

the entire frame can be dropped out the bottom in the time it takes to pull the motor itself, if say you were swapping 4wd into a 2wd

i would pull the motor first, then take the trans out the top as well. you can leave the crossmember on the tranny doing this. this is easiest.

if you take the tranny out the bottom jack the car on its side so the bellhousing will come out of the trans tunnel, you will hae more clearance this way

if the origin of your question has to do with pulling the motor forward enough to get it out, jack up the tranny so the motor lifts up out of its motor mount holes on the crossmember

if you really want some on eto tell you to take the motor and tranny out together, "Yes you can do it but its a pain in the rump roast"

Thanks MilesFox

I have had a few conflicting responses on 3 seperate Subaru Forums from members with alot of posts and alot of recommendations. 2 people say how they have done it numerous times, without any lift to the car and it's easy. And 2 now that say that it's not the way to go, it's a pain in the arse.

:confused::-\

sorry to be so down on the idea but i am telling you from my own experiences. i tried this once and will ot do it again. as i pulled the motor out farther i had to keep raising the car, the crane only goes so high before you have to shorten the chain. anyway it took me several attempts to finally wrestle the whole thing out

i dont think it was designed to go that way anyway. as you tear into a subaru you can tell how it wants you to take it apart by the way its put together!

Guess it depends on conditions. I stripped out a 81 wagon in the back forty by myself. Used a sheet of plywood for the cheery picker to sit/roll on. I thought it pulled out slicker than *%^&*%. I also greatly value my back. I am a 51 yr. young carpenter. I've gone through back issues and have learned to think through issues rather than muscle them. But like Miles said, get the front end up. Ramp the front tires, jack a little more and block the car. Then you can remove the ramps, to give more room, and free the wheels.It also gives you enough room to work underneath.