Ultimate Subaru Message Board

88/87 engine swap

I am planning on swapping my tired 88 efi ea82 with my engine from my 87 carbed ea82 because of head gasket and pcv issues. would it be better to use my efi set up on my the carbed engine or use the carberator. I know that the efi gets more power and more efficency and i wouldnt need to switch the wiring harnes or the computer. there seems like there is alot of vacume hoses to figure out. please post anything you can think of about the swap.

I am planning on swapping my tired 88 efi ea82 with my engine from my 87 carbed ea82 because of head gasket and pcv issues. would it be better to use my efi set up on my the carbed engine or use the carberator. I know that the efi gets more power and more efficency and i wouldnt need to switch the wiring harnes or the computer. there seems like there is alot of vacume hoses to figure out. please post anything you can think of about the swap.

No direct experience, but seems to me if you just unbolt the EFI (I am assuming SPFI/throttle body injection in your case) and move it out of the way you can R&R the engine without messing much with the vacuum/etc hoses.

Mostly correct there Mr. NorthWet...

Indeed,get yourself some new intake manifold gaskets and just lift the intake with all hoses attatched and place it up on the spare tire deck.

Remove old EFI engine.

Take carb'd engine and block the ports on the *side* of the exhaust ports with any shim stock that won't melt or corrode.

Place carb'd engine in minus the intake from it.

Replace intake that you put on the deck.

Done.