Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Driving an AT like a MT

What kind of dangers are associated with this trick? I've been trying out the technique of shifting from 2nd into 3rd once I hit 5000 or so, to get a little be more performance out of the engine. I let the transmission switch into 2nd for me, then shift into 3rd when I feel like like it.

Does this cause premature transmission wear? Are there other ways of using this to your advantage? How do I do I smoke the competition and tear away from a red light with this?

What kind of dangers are associated with this trick? I've been trying out the technique of shifting from 2nd into 3rd once I hit 5000 or so, to get a little be more performance out of the engine. I let the transmission switch into 2nd for me, then shift into 3rd when I feel like like it.

Does this cause premature transmission wear? Are there other ways of using this to your advantage? How do I do I smoke the competition and tear away from a red light with this?

Many - but more to your tranny than to you. - I would be worried about ripping my torque converter to shreads, not to mention overheating.

Best way to smoke the competition - convert to stick. Autos are not designed/made for/ideal for dragging - notice most all cars have better 0-60 times if they are a manual, rather than an auto - even the same car.

BTW an auto tranny takes away 10-15 hp b/c of the inherent inefficentcies in it.

I do this too, and have wondered aboout wear as well.Gonna check my governer soon to see.

When my vacuum modulator went out and I couldn't get a replacement for several days (one disadvantage to living in rural Alaska) but still had to drive the car, I just took out the actuator pin and plugged the vacuum line so that it would shift into whatever gear I put the shifter in.

Dunno if it messed up anything... I was pretty cautious about it and the tranny seemed fine afterward.

Did it all day every day on a TH350 with manual valve body.... On an old Subaru 3AT? Wouldn't risk it unless I had a spare! :-p

I raced a '71 Chevy Vega GT with a BBC 468ci with 958fwhp. It had a TH400 behind it but it was built for racing. Had to shift it with the manual valvebodies in it but like Morgan said, I wouldn't risk it with a Subaru tranny unless I had a spare to throw in it. Even though I raced my mom's minivan a 'couple' times vs. Hondas and smoked them all day long:D