Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New to board, but not new to Subie's :D

My name is Karin Vail, and I live in NW Washington. I have been a Subaru driver/owner since 1989. Sixteen years of driving Subie's has gotten me quite familiar with them and their few quirks. I've changed alternator's in the parking lot of the parts stores, gone through my fair share of CV joints, but overall these cars are so unbelievably reliable, it's hard for me to consider something else. My first Subie was an 85 fuel injected turbo sedan in 1989. Man, could that thing go. Loved that car until the pneumatic suspension gave us nothing but problems and headaches. We eventually switched it to shocks/springs and was in love with it again until hubby blew the head gaskets pulling his snowmobile trailer. We traded it in on a Suburban (we had 2 sons and a dog now and needed something big!), but I had to get another Subaru.

My latest Subaru is an 86 wagon that I got for dirt cheap. Now I realize why, LOL. It had a leaky radiator, so it looks like the previous owner was filling it with water when the radiator would leak. We had very hard freezes this winter, so now the block is cracked. Hubby and I assumed it was the radiator and water pump when we got it, we weren't worried about the engine because these things are bullet proof, right?! It is the quietest running Subie I've had since my first one too - it has almost NO lifter noise, no ''tick tick tick'' sound I've become so familiar with in others I've owned. Anyhow, when we take out the water pump (OMG - what an ordeal THAT is with melted timing belt covers that won't all come off w/o breaking!) and then upon close inspection beside the water pump, we can see hairline cracks in the block. What a major dissapointment. At first, we were looking for another engine, but then we thought ''if we are going to end up replacing the engine, why not run this one till it doesn't run any more?". So, we decided to use some block seal and see how it goes from there. I know we'll be replacing the engine sometime in the future, but at least I can get some use out of this one (hopefully).

One major bonus was that we only paid $350 for the car - and when I tore into the interior to do a MAJOR detail job, I found a gold/diamond ring in the hinge of one of the seats. Not worth a whole heckuva lot, but probably a $100-150 ring (and it does fit too!) So, I paid $350 for the car and a diamond ring ::grins::

Anyhow, Ed Rachner pointed me to this discussion board after a post looking for a Subie parts car/engine. Thanks Ed :) Wish I knew about that half off deal at the PAP earlier - I would have had time to talk hubby into yanking an engine for me :) He was all set on doing yard-work yesterday tho (boooo!).

I'll leave this as an introduction since I see Ed's posted my question about freeze plugs already :)

Karin