Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What engine?

Hey, I am new here and really like the place. I am learning more all the time. I have a 1987 GL 4WD Wagon, it was given to me. I would like to know what engine I have. I have read about the EA## but I don't know what I have. Please help.

Your wagon came with an EA82-series engine. It has overhead cams, while the "earlier" (though they were also in a different body style at the same time as your EA82 wagon) EA81 uses pushrods to operate the valves.

The EA82 was offered in a few minor variants, so it is useful to USMB folk to know if yours has a carburetor, SPFI (Single Point Fuel Injection - aka throttle body FI), MPFI (Multi-Point FI), or turbo.

Welcome. You have found a very nice group of people.

Thanks, mine has the carb, and no turbo. You guys are great.

If you are planning on swapping engines you can lift the intake off with all the hoses attatched and place it where the spare tire deck is,then swap the longblock.You can use a later engine with Single Port Fuel Injection,just drill out the EGR ports on the exhaust ports(we'll help you through when it's time).

You might have a harder time finding a carb'd engine but don't let that hold you back.

If you have the Dual Range 5speed on demand 4WD tranny it's worth keeping going for sure.Many of us here will have parts for you at very reasonable prices.

Good luck with it.

Thanks again. I have learned more in the past two days on this sight than in all of the reading in the last year. My engine works well, just leaks a little oil. I already have new pan and cam cover gaskets. The tranny is very tight, doesn't leak, and the 4WD works well, no noise, shifts easy. It is very reassuring to know that when I need the parts, you guys are here. Does anyone have a diagram of the vacuum lines to the intake manifold. My brother had most of them off and I had to put them back without a picture. I am sure they are not all in the right place. Mileage is not that great right now, maybe 22 if I really pay attention to what I am doing and keep my foot out of the carb. How good are the Weber carbs? I put a rebuilt Hitachi on mine, then found out through this sight that Weber made kits for the Soobs for about the same price.

...My engine works well, just leaks a little oil. I already have new pan and cam cover gaskets...

As others have oft said, "A leaky Subaru is a rust-free Subaru." :grin:

My personal feeling is that a good condition Hitachi is as good as a good condition Weber. The Hitachi fits, hooks into existing lines and wiring, etc. Unless you go to better manifolding (intake and exhaust) and probably cam work, a better/bigger carb is not going to offer much. A new Weber IS better than a tired Hitachi, though.

I don't have quick access to vacuum diagram for your car (though I can get it), but others do. And it should be on a sticker on the bottom side of your hood.

This site is great. I have benefited greatly from the collective knpwledge of the members. Just be wary of anybody who says that they "had a problem that is exactly like" yours; they are unlikely to know your "exact" problem.