Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fuel Adjust Screw

1984 Subaru DL wagon

All original (as far as I can tell)

carb.JPG

I am currently trying to adjust my carberator and can not find the fuel flow adjust screw. I dissconnected all the vaccum lines and cleaned the carb body up a bit (this is a dirty, dirty engine :banghead: ) and the only adjustment screw i found was the on the throttle body. I have posted a picture of the carb, and the red arrow is the throttle adjust. If anyone knows where the thing is, I would be very happy.

I am currently out in the shop and checking back every 10-20 minutes, so reply may take a bit.

Scott.

The pin is more like a roll pin. It can be driven out(down) with a small diameter punch, or even an old drill bit(upside down so the bit doesn't bite into the metal). I had to loosen the carb and raise it off the manifold like an inch and a half. Just pull the carb forward a bit so the pin will not fall into the manifold!

I successfully adjusted my screw out to araound 3 1/2 turns and it increased my mileage, and ran a ton better. Of course, it was running too rich before all this.

That would be to the right (clock wise) It may not need to got that far in, turn it until the engine begins to run a bit rough then turn the screw back until is smooths out. Since you said you're only getting around 12mpg, changing the idle mixture may not help a whole lot.

I set mine at 3 1/2 turns out. That's were it runs best. The POS is very worn, the throttle shaft is worn, the linkage is worn, I really can't get it right, it's just as good as it's going to get.

Turn it in slowly, counting the turns, but do not tighten it down hard. Just turn it easily untill it stops, then back it out. Some say 2 1/2 turns. some say 1 1/2, but it really comes down to your carb. How worn out it is, how dirty it is, the altitude, etc, etc. As stated before, turn it out untill it runs smooth, which will increase the engine speed, then re-adjust your idle speed with the idle screw, the one on the left on the linkage.

• 5 months later...