Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Would you pay...?

Guest jclay

$2500 for a '95 legacy wgn w/ 180k miles?

I haven't seen this car yet, it's down the road from where my mom lives, and mom, knowing i'm hunting for a new sube, spoke to the owner. Apparently, depite the high milage, it runs like a champ, has no problems, and is well maintained. The current owner has 3 full books of maintanance logs on it, and, if she can't sell, is planning to drive it to seattle.

I'll know more after i look at it.

Any gut reactions?

Thanks, Jared

I paid $2000 for a '95 legacy sedan with 150K. Body and interior were in good shape tho. No maitenance paperwork. I would have gladly paid $2500 for proof of maintenace. I say if you can live with the condition of the interior/exterior you will get your $2500 out of it mechanically.

If it's in really good shape, I think $2500 is reasonable. I paid $2300 for my 95 Legacy L wagon with 175,000 miles almost two years ago. This was down in Newport News, Virginia where Subaru's aren't too popular. It now has 232,000 miles and I think it's finally broken in.

Other than oil changes I've put about $1000 into it, but I'd consider all of it to be maintenance. The bulk of that was at 180,000 for the major 60,000 mile service interval - I got a timing belt, new plugs and wires, brakes, filters all around, fluids all around . . . The only other things I've had done were one wheel bearing and a new battery. I'll get pretty much the same stuff done in a few months when I hit 240,000. I also keep expecting the clutch or some engine seals to go out at some point, but in the grand scheme of things that's no big deal. Given that I drive 30,000 miles a year, $1000 every couple of years is pretty great. With a little luck I should hit 300,000 in 2007.

Adam

$2500 for a '95 legacy wgn w/ 180k miles?

I haven't seen this car yet, it's down the road from where my mom lives, and mom, knowing i'm hunting for a new sube, spoke to the owner. Apparently, depite the high milage, it runs like a champ, has no problems, and is well maintained. The current owner has 3 full books of maintanance logs on it, and, if she can't sell, is planning to drive it to seattle.

I'll know more after i look at it.

Any gut reactions?

Thanks, Jared

Guest jclay

I should have mentioned that it's a 5-speed, an I'm assuming the great 2.2...hope to take a look this weekend. The seller actually originally said $3000, but would go as low as the $2500...I'm thinking maybe $2200.Thanks again for all input,

Jared