Ultimate Subaru Message Board

RX and NA DR trannies

So I was looking at the FSM and the output shafts are clearly different for the two transmisisons, but the number of teeth on the end are the same, 10 its the ring gear thats different, 37 or 39, so the theory is that they might be the same? probably not though, anyone ever take a look at those?

So the pinion gear of the rear diff has ten teeth and it meshes with either a 37 or 39 tooth ring rear, but the ten tooth pinion gears in the trannies are different enough that a 39 tooth ring gear won't mesh with the ten tooth pinion from a turbo tranny? Well I have change many rear diffs to know that that works, but i have never tried the tranny ring gear, I guess because I consider it such a hassle to take apart. So Noah, what are you after, the gear ratios of the RX tranny in a N/A tranny?

Basically what i want to do is take all the better parts of both trannys and make an AWD with the 1.59 low range and the 3.9 final drive. cause, no offence Austin, but the water wagon sucks to accelerate, too much power with the 2.2 so all wheel drive would solve that, and with the diff lock i can still off road.

According to our more adventurous Aussie bretheren, the low range will swap, but that still leaves the 3.7 which as we all know the 3.9 is bad enough as is

Basically what i want to do is take all the better parts of both trannys and make an AWD with the 1.59 low range and the 3.9 final drive. cause, no offence Austin, but the water wagon sucks to accelerate, too much power with the 2.2 so all wheel drive would solve that, and with the diff lock i can still off road.

According to our more adventurous Aussie bretheren, the low range will swap, but that still leaves the 3.7 which as we all know the 3.9 is bad enough as is

This is the reason why I would have stayed with the EJ series tranny. True it doesn't have the dual range (I'm still working on that), but it more then makes up for that with teh better torque.