Ultimate Subaru Message Board

difference in engines...

Generally Speaking:

EA81 - gear driven cam - more reliable, more low-end torque, not as high reving

EA82 - T-belt driven cams - more reving potential, more high-end speed torque, can do 5,000rpms all day

Modifications can make exceptions to all above statements - both engines are pretty tuneable, but if your want to milk every hp per cc displacement, the EA82 is your best bet.

EA82 turbos crack heads, other don't

gen 1 cars are through 1979 for all cars except Brats (through '81?) - older, more traditional design

I can't remember exactly what makes a gen 2; but I do know the engine designations for the difft cars

EA71 - 197?-1987 - 1.6L OHV

EA81 - 1980-1984 - 1.8L OHV (used thru 1987 on all Brats and Hatchbacks)

EA82 - 1985-1994 - 1.8L OHC

EA82 turbos crack heads, other don't

Here is Aus, I know of 3 Suby yards that sell EA82 (non turbo) heads all day, every day for $150 a piece. So to say that only the Turbos crack heads, I have 3 yards here to say different.

ea81 and ea82s crack heads, but they are usually blind cracks that cause no harm (just between the valves), so all those people buying heads from that wrecker may be wasting their money! The ea82t does seem to have worse issues when they are overheated, but you shouldn't be overheating it anyway!

Here is Aus, I know of 3 Suby yards that sell EA82 (non turbo) heads all day, every day for $150 a piece. So to say that only the Turbos crack heads, I have 3 yards here to say different.

US vs. Int'l = BIG DIFFERENCE

besides, I have at least half a dozen shops and JY's that know subarus - none sells N/A heads on a frequent basis because they don't crack (or at least in a way that affects performance) - I have enough hard miles on mine to know if it would have cracked yet - warp if overheated, yes - but cracking is not a problem here when it comes to performance

none of the cars I've seen in the JY with over 170k miles on them had unuseable heads either - their piston rings were just worn out, they had blown a head gasket, or (most common reason) their owner's got tired of them - I started one up with over 250k miles on the engine - know it was orig. engine because I had a connection to the last owner - burnt some oil at startup, but ran fine otherwise

Ross also has a point - all of 'em crack a bit - most of the cracks are negledgeable, turbos can be the exception

BTW, here is Australia we can Brumbies (Brats) that go up until 1994. Still think they have the EA81. I have a 89 Brumby with an EA81 and toursion bar rear suspention, it also has qual headlights. (GL I think that means)

The dates I gave are for US imports - I know they vary country-to-country.

I genuinely wish (as many others do) that the brat had continued as long here as it did there - it was a nice vehicle. I kinda wish subaru had updated it to the EA82 series body, but that never happened.

the more I learn about my EA-81 the more I am happy that I have one :cool:

The EA82 is not a bad engine nor are most any others that subaru has made - though I do like the valve timing mechanism on the EA81 for its reliability and serviceability. It is a very good car!