Ultimate Subaru Message Board

dont call it the TOD!_!

its not a tick of death, its a tick of life! your subaru will run for tens, maybe hundreds of thousands of miles like this. i have one thats done if for 25k miles, after all i tried, it wont go away, and im not takin the lifters out...

lets give it a better name, that wont scare people when they read about it, because its not that big of a deal. most older subarus do it(sometimes very quietly), untill they warm up.

Aahh, so that's what TOD means. I new sooner or later someone would let me know!

My EA82 Leone has had that noise since i bought it (Odo had 340,000 km = about 210,000 miles on it) though it comes and goes. The longer it has been sitting around, the more it ticks. I'm not going to try and fix it yet as I am planning an engine replacement later on anyway.

Jzab

I will second the 15W-40. We've always used Chevron Delo 15W-40 in all our rigs (Logging trucks, Suburban, Subaru's), and my brother-in-law uses it religiously in his logging truck and Toyota 4-runner too. Our Suburban and his Yo have over 250,000 miles on them and still running strong and you know those logging trucks need good oil because those engines are vital and EXPENSIVE!. I wouldn't use anything else.

I'd have to agree; its not gonna be the death of your Subaru if it has lifter ticking.

Ticking = minor nuisance that can be dealt with or you can live with it.

Knock = usually means the death of thy Subaru is eminent.

Big differences :)