Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Carb Choke basics

Just rebuilt my carb on a 1986 Subaru GL EA82 4wd sedan. I was wondering about the operation of the fast idle cam. I understand the process to work in this way. The choke spring closes the choke fully when the throttle is opened. The choke arm pushes the fast idle cam CCW. As the throttle is let off, the fast idle arm comes to rest on the first step of the fast idle cam. As the choke heater warms the bi-metal spring, the choke arm pulls back CW. Here's where I have a question. Should the fast idle cam have enough spring force to turn CW with the motion of the choke arm, thereby dropping the fast idle arm to the 2nd step, 3rd step, etc? Or, do you have to punch the throttle after the choke heats up to allow the fast idle arm to drop off of the fast idle cam? I have always been led to believe that as the choke heats, the fast idle slowly returns to curb idle speed automatically via the fast idle cam steps. I have a scanned pic of the cam and arms but I don't know how to include it.

I have always had to bump the pedal to unlock the choke/high rpms when it's warming up.

I have never seen it calm down on it's own but then again, I never let it run long enough to see if it will do it on it's own?

For what that's worth?

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester