Ultimate Subaru Message Board

new buggie project

Hello all first let me introduce my self I grew up in a little town in Alaska where every othercar was a rusted out subaru and I spent a good amout of time keeping them running and learned to love them. I then moved to Oregon and whent to school for automotive tech. where I am now.

My new progect that I found online is a subaru dune buggie that is made in australia I orderd a set of plans (they have not come yet but soon) and hope to get building soon. It uses a single doner car 82-90 sub wagon.

My question is do you all think that the extra work of using a turbo wagon is worth the extra work, or should I just go with the standerd 4X4 wagon? I know I want a 5 speed with duel range 4X4.Bandit%20roofrack%201.jpg

if you are good with wiring, turbo is somthing to consider.high tech.the turbo will add some more performance, but not really a tremendous amount.i never really minded not having a turbo on most of my cars.also ,a nonturbo donar car is easier and cheaper to find.looks like a fun project.i might be able to help you find a donor, just let me know what you are looking for.just my $0.02

jon

Turbo would be fun but I'd get any EA82 EFI engine. Seen plenty of carb engines crap out on super steep climbs.

If I may suggest; get some real tires on the buggy. That way you get the oil pan off the ground! Looks like its the lowest point on that vehicle depicted there. I'd run the biggest tires that fit; especially with a turbo engine. Need a solid skid plate that protects it too.

I see several things i dont like in that pic

• suspension travel looks VERY limited

• why not take advantage of the fact its tube frame and get some real off road tyres instead of those ATV things?

• approach angle isnt so good

• ground clearance doesnt look any better than a stock jeep (those low profile tyres are the culprit)
  • that front skid plate isnt doing squat if its not protecting the underside of the engine

Welcome to the board!

Cool Buggy! :lol:

I don't think there is any extra work envolved in a turbo vs. anything else.

If your truely using the "one donor" concept then it won't make any difference what you do. Your swapping all the parts over. If you frankenstein it your in for a world of problems.

If I was going to choose motors/donor vehicles, I'd choose an injected candidate. As the Rock Crawlers know...a carb can be tempremental on steep angles. Unless you already have a donor, I'd shop for an injected model.

A turbo is cool but, I'd bet most of your needs will not be high end rpms (turbo)? I'd bet low end torque is what your going to be using most of the time---espescially if you put bigger tires on it! :eek:

Tires. Lots of opinions here! I'd suggest analyzing your Geography, Driving style in making that decision. If clearance is everything go "Big" with the tires. But remember "Big" tires w/o lowering your gear ratio gives you less climbing ability.

The equation your balancing with tires is climbing VS. clearance.

As far as the tranny goes, I think the gearing of a 4 speed would be better. With a 4 you have a one piece drive line (easyier install) and you'll never need that 5th gear off-road--esp. with larger tires.

No matter what you do, you'll have more clearance, better power and your angle of approach and departure will be better than most any Subie around.

This occurs because your loosing serious weight and your not bound by unibody restrictions.

Good Luck,....You'll need it! :lol:

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester

if I was doing this and it had to be subaru powered id use a 6 cyl engine for the little extra grunt. prabably use a regular transmission with adapter instead of the subaru one for the simplicity. front axle would sit in front of the engine or at least below the front pulley. use either toyota transfer case or samauri one. front and rear axles from 79-85 toyota pickup on a 4 link.

if I was doing this and it had to be subaru powered id use a 6 cyl engine for the little extra grunt. prabably use a regular transmission with adapter instead of the subaru one for the simplicity. front axle would sit in front of the engine or at least below the front pulley. use either toyota transfer case or samauri one. front and rear axles from 79-85 toyota pickup on a 4 link.
Then you would have a Land Cruiser.

Let's keep everything in prospective here,

If you were doing that,

It wouldn't be a Rhino!

The Rhino is an answer to "What to do with a rusty Subaru with good running gear". It's not the answer to "Where do I start building my competiton Rock Crawler". When you get down to it your just building an "alternative" body for a old Subaru. The Rhino looks mean but it's really just a light weight Subaru. :D

If I was going to make a Rock Crawler, I sure wouldn't start with an old Subaru. I love my Subies but there are so many better platforms to start with. A Toyota or a Samurai would be my first choice too!

Now I have a buggy, I can't justify having a real Rock Crawler :-\

Glenn,

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester

If you were doing that,

It wouldn't be a Rhino!

The Rhino is an answer to "What to do with a rusty Subaru with good running gear". It's not the answer to "Where do I start building my competiton Rock Crawler". When you get down to it your just building an "alternative" body for a old Subaru. The Rhino looks mean but it's really just a light weight Subaru. :D

If I was going to make a Rock Crawler, I sure wouldn't start with an old Subaru. I love my Subies but there are so many better platforms to start with. A Toyota or a Samurai would be my first choice too!

Now I have a buggy, I can't justify having a real Rock Crawler :-\

Glenn,

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester

EXACTLY!

Then you would have a Land Cruiser.

land cruisers around here suffered the rust death long ago. or at least the interesting ones.

if the subaru powertrain is going to be used how about the other way? as in lightweight fast car? sorta like a cheap mans Aerial Atom? use the full time 4x4 transmission, and just build a performance car around it.

If you were doing that,

It wouldn't be a Rhino!

Oh, these are just way too fun looking. Devious mind at work thinking of how I could get hubby to build one. OH! Wouldn't it make a fantastic hunting rig? Hee hee :D Easy and quiet to hop out of but gets you to places not every rig can get to :D

land cruisers around here suffered the rust death long ago. or at least the interesting ones.

if the subaru powertrain is going to be used how about the other way? as in lightweight fast car? sorta like a cheap mans Aerial Atom? use the full time 4x4 transmission, and just build a performance car around it.

What you described was a tube chassie Land Cruiser.

With enough imagination, talent and money, a person could build anything.

How do you think the first dune buggies came about, a rusted out or rolled VW, unbolt the body throw a rollbar on the floor pan add some bigger rear tires and there you go. A 36hp car that would go about anywhere. Then someone said, if we get rid of the heavy floor pan we can go faster in more places yet.

It's all in what a person wants.

I think this thread is more about, What can I make without spending a ton of money out of a Rusted out Suby and still have a fun car to drive.

I think a little two seat sports car with a Suby Hi performance 4X4 drive train would be the cats a$$.

It's all about money and how you want to play.

It's all in what a person wants.

I think this thread is more about, What can I make without spending a ton of money out of a Rusted out Suby and still have a fun car to drive.

and since were starting from scratch we can build it without the production compromises. I find this intriguing. the car im picturing is the typical pikes peak space frame with no bodywork, low center of gravity, super lightweight and fun.

Open Wheel

open_wheel.jpgThe traditional racecar on Pikes Peak. They're appearance ranges from an Indy Car style to a dune buggy. Open wheel cars have competed in every Pikes Peak International Hill Climb since the first race in 1916. This is a very fast division. The Open Wheel record, 10:05.85 (Robby Unser, 1994) is less than two seconds off the overall record of 10:04.06 (Rod Millen, 1994.)

Thanks for everyones input I am building it for trails and desert running mostly. I was driving around town and ran across a 87 GL wagon 5 speed duel range, would that be spfi or mpfi did not look that close? could probly pick it up for $400-$500 it was in pretty good shape had 160,000 and needed new CV's in the front but overall not bad. too bad I an not at the point of needing a doner yet but I tend to run across deals prettty regularly.

Welcome to the board!

Cool Buggy! :lol:

I don't think there is any extra work envolved in a turbo vs. anything else.

If your truely using the "one donor" concept then it won't make any difference what you do. Your swapping all the parts over. If you frankenstein it your in for a world of problems.

If I was going to choose motors/donor vehicles, I'd choose an injected candidate. As the Rock Crawlers know...a carb can be tempremental on steep angles. Unless you already have a donor, I'd shop for an injected model.

A turbo is cool but, I'd bet most of your needs will not be high end rpms (turbo)? I'd bet low end torque is what your going to be using most of the time---espescially if you put bigger tires on it! :eek:

Tires. Lots of opinions here! I'd suggest analyzing your Geography, Driving style in making that decision. If clearance is everything go "Big" with the tires. But remember "Big" tires w/o lowering your gear ratio gives you less climbing ability.

The equation your balancing with tires is climbing VS. clearance.

As far as the tranny goes, I think the gearing of a 4 speed would be better. With a 4 you have a one piece drive line (easyier install) and you'll never need that 5th gear off-road--esp. with larger tires.

No matter what you do, you'll have more clearance, better power and your angle of approach and departure will be better than most any Subie around.

This occurs because your loosing serious weight and your not bound by unibody restrictions.

Good Luck,....You'll need it! :lol:

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester