Ultimate Subaru Message Board

88 GL-10 possible fuel pump upgrade?

Okay, something funny happened to me this past Friday. I went out and bought a brand new fuel pump for my GL-10. So....... I get to looking at the fuel pump to make sure that it was the same(looks and specs) as the original one. Anyway, I start looking at the fuel pump and it says 12volt this, blah, blah, blah, Max pressure 95psi, blah, blah, blah, blah.....................[screaching sounds]?????????!!!!!! 95PSI?!!! What the heck? I thought that the factory psi rating was only 71psi at max? It is made by a company called MASTER(part# E8312). With the adjustable FPR that I have, hopefully it will make a difference in performance, if not, at least I have a new fuel pump with a lifetime warranty. Well, I just thought i would let everybody know about what I found.

Patrick

Max pressure on the stock pump for 87+ turbo cars is 71-72psi..

Should be interesting to see what a 95 psi pump will do with the RRFPR, but I don't realistically see how there can be much improvement with the stock injectors as they are rated for a certain pressure and the stock ECU sets the pulse width. The stock ECU has no function for monitoring pressure.. Only thing I can think of if you are getting any sort of performance upgrade out of the RRFPR and pump, is that you're overpowering the injectors (fun stuff, watch for blown seals) :D

Definitely a step in the right direction.. Better pump and FPR, .. even if its just a little should be good for maybe up to 230cc ( ?) injectors and corresponding boost

Shoot, I wish I could've gotten mine for that price. The funny thing is, before my wife and I went to North Carolina a couple of weeks ago, it was $70, well $69.99, same difference.:lol: But when we came back, the price had shot up to $101.95. Good ol' AUTOZONE likes to molest people's pocketbooks at will. But I'm pretty sure you know how that goes.:rolleyes:

Shoot, I wish I could've gotten mine for that price. The funny thing is, before my wife and I went to North Carolina a couple of weeks ago, it was $70, well $69.99, same difference.:lol: But when we came back, the price had shot up to $101.95. Good ol' AUTOZONE likes to molest people's pocketbooks at will. But I'm pretty sure you know how that goes.:rolleyes:

it sounds like they gave you the wrong pump,wouldnt be the 1st time that happened,hmmmmmmm diff. psi,diff. price,that and the fact that you left there in less then amicable terms,shall we say.just my 2cents

why would it make a difference in performance?

i have the same 90 psi pump on an na mpfi, and an na er27, and the same pump feeds them fine. unless you adjust your adjustable fpr above what the subaru pump can push, then youd get more power, but that isnt happening. your not outruning your stock pump.

check the ford trucks... 40 bucks =]

you gotta make them look in the other book.

it sounds like they gave you the wrong pump,wouldnt be the 1st time that happened,hmmmmmmm diff. psi,diff. price,that and the fact that you left there in less then amicable terms,shall we say.just my 2cents

LOL:lol:

No, no, it's the right pump. I triple checked the part number and also looked everything over very closely to make sure it was the right one before I purchased it. Besides, for the longest time there was a rumor going around that I was going to sue Autozone, and after that, any time my wife and I, or just me alone would enter the store, everyone was kinda walking on eggshells and bending over backwards to get me what I wanted. Funny thing is, any time I go in there now, I have the run of the store. So I'm not worried.

why would it make a difference in performance?

i have the same 90 psi pump on an na mpfi, and an na er27, and the same pump feeds them fine. unless you adjust your adjustable fpr above what the subaru pump can push, then youd get more power, but that isnt happening. your not outruning your stock pump.

check the ford trucks... 40 bucks =]

you gotta make them look in the other book.

Well, as of this present moment I'm running like 39psi of static fuel pressure out of my RRFPR at idle, and when I drive it, beliiieeeve me, it makes a big difference in performance over what stock can do. So I'm pretty sure that when I install the new pump and turn the pressure to 42psi, that should make somewhat of an improvement, no matter how small.

do you have a A/F gauge hooked up on this?

Yes. It has been in there for about 3 or 4 months now. Thanks to it, that is one of the ways that helped me to rough tune my GL-10 when I installed my RRFPR. I'll tell you one thing, upping the fuel at the rail helps alot, even when you are only running like 10-11psi of boost.

THE VERDICT IS IN(as is the new fuel pump):

It took me just over 45 minutes to install the new pump. I had to make some modifications to the mounting clamp and also drill out and re-tap a bolt hole(stupid rusty bolts!! LOL), but it is in and the car is running better than ever. I don't have any solid proof on paper that there is a power gain, but you can sure feel it when in boost so you'll all just have to take my word for it. The only real drawback is that the fuel pump is a bit on the noisy side, but it isn't anything that is unliveable. All in all, I would have to say that I would highly recommend installing this pump if your fuel pump is in need of replacement or you have enough mods(like those of you who have RRFPRs) to require a larger fuel pump. That $101.95 investment at Autozone was worth every penny.