Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New(to me:) 87 Subaru GL wagon - Engine Problems

Hey everyone, first off let me apologize for letting my first post be a cry for help, I have been reading these boards for a couple months while I have been hunting for a subaru, and never really had any helpful hints to post on other topics. Anyway I finally found myself a nice little wagon it is a:

1987 Subaru GL 4WD Auto

182k On the body 80ish on the engine (or so Im told)

So far I have changed the oil, checked most of the rest of the fluids, and changed the spark plugs / wires (ngk / Bosch wires). When I was driving it home today all of a sudden it sputtered out and died. Started back up fine, and then continued to idle / run really rough. I came to these boards to see if anyone else was having a problem similar, found that the first thing I need to do is check vaccum hoses, and when I did that I found one that WAS NOT CONNECTED! So I ran down to my local bow-wow parts store snaggged some new tubing, hooked it up- problem solved.

Now for my new problem- While I was changing my spark plugs I noticed on cylinder 1 the plug was wayyy too tight, so I eased it out and quickly relized the last person who changed the plugs had cross threaded them, I looked at the plug and saw that it was burnt half way through, my question now is: What do I do about the shiny aluminum head that now has the wrong threads fpr that single spark plug. I just screwed this new spark plug in the old hole, and it still runs fine. However there is a stall right when you give it gas from a stop, nothing more than a second or so, then kicks right to 2000 rpms and takes off - no problems at higher speeds etc. Could this be related to the bogus plug? Any help is appreciated

Thanks in advance!

Well, generally when you use a helicoil it involves running a special tap through the hole, and screwing in a wire insert; easy as. Im not sure how you stop the swarf ending up in the cylinder in this case though. Is there a special tool anyone?

Do the job with the valves in the closed position,i.e when that cylinder is coming up on compression. Have someone hold that long narrow thingy that belongs to the wifes vacuum cleaner in the vicinity of the work. When your done jam it down on the plughole . With the valves closed the suction should clean anything that got in the hole . Now go face the wife and try explaining your way outta that .

Jude

I've also discussed this with a friend of mine, and his opinion on the helicoil stuff was along the lines of "Eh, just crank it a few times with the plug open & the ignition disabled... it'll blow that stuff right out the plug hole. Heck, maybe even leave the ignition on & run it on 3 cylinders for a bit."

The stumble below 2000 RPM may be related to a throttle position sensor - I haven't bothered with mine, because it's only a problem when stone cold.

-=Russ=-

I didn't notice anywhere in your post if you mentioned if your new car was carbed or SPFI?

Carbed would mean a bad accelerator pump, SPFI would be a throttle position sensor.

Is your check engine light on? (SPFI only)... Does it come on when you turn the key on??

Things to think about.

Call if you have questions, or need parts....

P.S. I was at Bow-wow at 5:30 last nite.

Hush