Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rad fan toggle switch?

Ok almost an exhusted thread but...if the fan is neg tripped then couldn't you just run a switch inside that puts -12v to the fan to make it turn on? Anyway, just took a look at it but both wires show 12v+! WTF? Can someone tell me what wires are what so I can wire my switch on my dash? 88 DL -EA82

locate the thermo swithc on the radiator. if you take a jumper and short the car end of the terminal it shold kick the fan on. if the fan comes on, this circiot is working properly.

you can take the hot side of the terminal and runit to a switch, and the other side of the switch to ground.

anotehr way to do it would get a speaker wire, that is a wire with 2 wires run together, connect one end to the swithc, and the other end to both terminals on the plug, and if you can get the wires and the plug to fit on the thermo switch that would be good.

this way tou can toggle the fan on, and if you forget about the fan the thermoswitch will turn it on. this would be a manual override for the stock circuit

• 2 weeks later...
locate the thermo swithc on the radiator. if you take a jumper and short the car end of the terminal it shold kick the fan on. if the fan comes on, this circiot is working properly.

you can take the hot side of the terminal and runit to a switch, and the other side of the switch to ground.

anotehr way to do it would get a speaker wire, that is a wire with 2 wires run together, connect one end to the swithc, and the other end to both terminals on the plug, and if you can get the wires and the plug to fit on the thermo switch that would be good.

this way tou can toggle the fan on, and if you forget about the fan the thermoswitch will turn it on. this would be a manual override for the stock circuit

a guy told me hookup...couple male connectors....on a 3-4" wire....plugged them into the females that connected to the thermosensor.....I ded this for the summer.....then when it cools....will again plug into thermosensor....:)

well i have my main cooling fan on my wagon as the motor controlled 1, but got extra cooling i had run a toggle switch for my ac fan on the rad for extra cooling when i need it. the fan will go in either direction if you put it on pos and neg ad then reverse it, i set it to pull the air through the rad and ran a power to that 1 and grounded the other wire

well i have my main cooling fan on my wagon as the motor controlled 1, but got extra cooling i had run a toggle switch for my ac fan on the rad for extra cooling when i need it. the fan will go in either direction if you put it on pos and neg ad then reverse it, i set it to pull the air through the rad and ran a power to that 1 and grounded the other wire

good work! :headbang:

I do believe it would benefit everyone on this site, especially the newbies, if someone took the time and wrote the cronological tuneup for the cooling system especially with summer knocking on our door. Preventative maintenance is key to illiminating those gastly repair bills!

I think this site rocks!

My dream in the next few years is to find a strong 4x4 subaru with a nicely designed roof rack for a 12 foot aluminium boat. There are some nice little spring fed lakes up in the mountains here in the okanagan valley. I have seen some gorgeous 4x4 subaru wagons jacked up and looking just great....:slobber:

The reason you saw +12 volts on both sides of the circuit is because the circuit to run the fan was open. There won't be any real voltage drop across the device until the circuit is closed and current is flowing. If the fan had been running, then you would see the + and - as you expected to see. If you had measured across the switch to ground you would see all the voltage there since that is the open part of the circuit. When the switch is closed then it is a short basically and has no voltage across it since there is no resistance for a voltage drop to occur. Ohm's Law must prevail.

You are correct about the switch usually making the ground connection to turn the fan and this could be bypassed with a simple switch that can handle that amount of current. I don't like to modify things like this because it puts needless ware and load on things. I like to let the sensor do its' job.