Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I am soooo confused!?

I have a 1978 Brat, and assume, since it was originally titled in California that it had California emissions.

I found and followed the links suggested on my previous post and read the articles... they are all relevant for later models ('81 & up).

I have found that the rubber hoses coming off the valve covers are connected to a "T" and the third leg has another rubber hose hanging down toward the ground, connected to nothing. It spews raw exhaust into the engine bay and on occasion, drips a light brown (more watery, not too oily) odorless liquid.

I spoke to a reliable Subaru parts manager and he said the two rubber hoses just connect directly to the "T" on the underside of the air cleaner... yet my Buckley's and HTKYSA says there is a reed valve in there somewhere. There's no mention of a silencer.

I don't need this fixed to pass emissions, it's exempt... I just had a whole new exhaust installed and it still stinks! :(

I have a 1978 Brat, and assume, since it was originally titled in California that it had California emissions.

I found and followed the links suggested on my previous post and read the articles... they are all relevant for later models ('81 & up).

I have found that the rubber hoses coming off the valve covers are connected to a "T" and the third leg has another rubber hose hanging down toward the ground, connected to nothing. It spews raw exhaust into the engine bay and on occasion, drips a light brown (more watery, not too oily) odorless liquid.

I spoke to a reliable Subaru parts manager and he said the two rubber hoses just connect directly to the "T" on the underside of the air cleaner... yet my Buckley's and HTKYSA says there is a reed valve in there somewhere. There's no mention of a silencer.

I don't need this fixed to pass emissions, it's exempt... I just had a whole new exhaust installed and it still stinks! :(

Parts guy is correct,valve cover hoses connect directly to the aircleaner.No reed valves or anything else.This is the crankcase ventilation system

Reed valves are part of a seperate emission control system(the air injection system)and should connect to the head rather than the valve cover.

yes, the PVC hoses coming from the valve covers goes into a "T" fitting with a smaller fitting coming off of it so it looks more like an "F" fitting. The smaller fitting goes into the air cleaner. This has to do with the emissions on the vehicles. It helps recycle the pressure in the crankcase into the intake system instead of letting it out into the atmosphere where it does bad stuff. Just look at California! Mary, I also have a FSM which is a reprint and updated version of what Paul has so if he doesn't have it in his, I might have it in mine.

Paul, hows the brown fender from my Brat?:brow:

yes, the PVC hoses coming from the valve covers goes into a "T" fitting with a smaller fitting coming off of it so it looks more like an "F" fitting. The smaller fitting goes into the air cleaner. This has to do with the emissions on the vehicles. It helps recycle the pressure in the crankcase into the intake system instead of letting it out into the atmosphere where it does bad stuff. Just look at California! Mary, I also have a FSM which is a reprint and updated version of what Paul has so if he doesn't have it in his, I might have it in mine.

Paul, hows the brown fender from my Brat?:brow:

Russ,I have all versions of pretty much all FSM's from the 70's,just so you know.

Your brown fender is leaning against a wall.

Cheers