Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Whistling sound in 2000 Outback?

I don't know if this is a very widely known problem, but I was wondering if there is a solution for it. When I test drove a 2000 Subaru Outback (finally I got a chance to test drive it) and on the driver's side, there was this whistling sound that was made :confused: ...the window was all the way up, and the door was shut...there was nothing I did to make it whistle that I know of, and the dealer said this is ""normal"" (I'll be damned if I believe this dealer after the cd player incident, though...) Do you know of any cures for this? I could really use your help...I wouldn't want to buy a car that whistles... :(

DId it stop if you rolled the window down? There have been posts re: front windows not properly sealing. I believe there's a fix, but since our '00 hasn't exhibited this anomoly I didn't pay much attention.

'Normal' I don't think so. Is this the same dealer? Are you sure you want to buy a car fromn this guy? He's either clueless or a crook.

There's a lot of Subarus in the sea.

Well, it's not "normal" as in part of the design, but it does happen to lots of Outbacks. When we bought our 01, pretty much all of the units we tested did it, including the one we bought. Ours still does it, but since we knocked some extra bucks of the price, we live with it until I feel like pursuing it.

Yeah, it's the same guy, he probably is a crook, though I doubt that he's clueless...If I hadn't done all my homework and I mean ALL, he could've easily conned me... You're right, there are many Subarus in the sea, I guess I'm just going to have to let this one go...I'll start looking at some of the other dealers in the area...they might be a little more pricey, but I'd gladly pay more money for someone not to con me...

Thanks guys! :) I'll keep on my quest for a car...

About the whistling near the window...how do you fix that??? I have the same problem with my 2000 outback. I have purchased rubber weather seal strips and glued them in the door and near the window and the sound was reduced only minimally. Does anyone else have any suggestions?

My first post here, so far I have been just lurking.

My 2001 outback has wind noise at the mirror gusset seals on the driver side door glass. It comes from the seal at the gusset near the mirror mounting. Subaru service bulliten 12-82-04 addresses a fix for the problem by installing new improved rubber seals at the mirror gussets. I don't think these seal are cheap. So far, I just slip a business card on the inside between the glass and the interior seal and the noise stops.

John

• 3 years later...

Completely new to this forum since I just bought a used '02 Outback. Very excited to have bought this car, but the only thing that didn't excite me was this wind noise...I've been to a couple of forums that suggest the same remedy (pinching the gusset together) and everyone who's tried this and responded has had success. Can't wait to go and try it now!! It will be the PERFECT car in my eyes once that noise is remedied! Thanks for the tip!

Hannah