Ultimate Subaru Message Board

84 brat troubleshooting

We just got this brat and finally got it "driveable" this weekend. The electric fan isn't coming on when the engine starts to heat up..(it does work, but I don't really want to "Hot" wire it.) It does stay cool while driving.. We've put a new radiator & hoses.. valve cover gaskets.. spark plugs and wires.. air filter.. oil filter.. oil pan gasket & drain bolt.. pcv filter (going to replace pcv valce as soon as i can get that damned old one out.. still needs: A rad overflow reservoir that is made for it.. an o2 sensor for the catalytic.. front right running light (underneath head light, not the bulb.. the whole thing) and some cosmetics... and probably some other things we don't know about. Anyway.. it sounds like it's running rougher than it should.. and seem to be getting some.. dunno.. "rougher" noises when giving it gas (up around 3-4k rpms...) Maybe timing? We don't have a timing gun. Any tips? Thanks. Oh yeah.. the tach is a little "jumpy" without any noticable changes in engine idle.. maybe a 200rpm jump.. but the engine doesnt notice it...

Theres no stock overflow bottle for a Brat, just fill the radiator to the very top tab on the inside of the radiator and monitor the level at each oil change.

The tach jump is probably a worn out distributor, check for shaft play on the rotor.

The rad fan wont come on if the wire between the body and the top of the radiator isn't present. People replace the radiator and forget this wire frequently.

Got the rad working.. replaced the pcv valve.. seems to be doing good now.. still sounds rough which worries me a little.. but maybe just because it has a lot of miles on it (200k+) but the motor is strong and everything seems to be in working order.

As far as the rad goes... it was some ground wire that i guess was supposed to be plugged onto the radiator.. and then like previously mentioned the radiator was supposed to be ground to the body.. It's all good now. :)

Got the rad working.. replaced the pcv valve.. seems to be doing good now.. still sounds rough which worries me a little.. but maybe just because it has a lot of miles on it (200k+) but the motor is strong and everything seems to be in working order.

As far as the rad goes... it was some ground wire that i guess was supposed to be plugged onto the radiator.. and then like previously mentioned the radiator was supposed to be ground to the body.. It's all good now. :)

I would dump a can of seafoam into the gas tank to help clean stuff out....

the overflow just went onto the ground in stock form. I've had a couple of ea81's that had overflow bottles added to them though, especially for hotter areas of the country....

also, your shift boot goes out today :)