Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Lift Done.....problems

mexiburger

I have just completed a 3" lift on my 81 BRAT and now my reverse and 4X4 lights don't work. they worked fine before and the wires didn't get pulled out. I have made modifications to the shifters but i don't think that this should make a difference because the switches are on the transaxle. I guess I don't really need these but I like them so I would like to get them working.

Thanks

Mexiburger

something had to happen during the lift. even if they didnt get pulled out, they could have been broken, inside the plastic housing, if you stretched them.

i did a 4 inch lift, lowered everything about 7 inches during install, and all that wiring was long enough for that.

The actuator switch for the 4x4 unit on my 83 Brat is a switch that makes contact on the back lobe of the 4x4 lever itself. The wires that connect to the tranny don't turn on the light on the dash. Check in your console area for that. The tranny does affect the back up lights. Check those connections by putting the car in reverse with the ignition on. Use a vom or circuit tester to locate which 2 wires are the circuit for your back up lights. Then go by process of elimination to figure out which two wires complete the circuit with the tranny.

Did you reconnect the ground wire that connects to the tranny? The 4WD light is as Northguy described. When lifting the levers usually move upwards. This would cause the light to remain on all the time. So, that shouldn't be your problem. Try the ground wire first. Then check the connections. You may have to remove the consoles and pull back the carpet on the passenger side to see the plug for the 4WD indicator switch.

Thanks for the replys

I checked all that stuff and I found the problems. the reverse swich had been disconected, but that happened after I checked everything after the lift. The 4X4 light isn't working because the shift lever extenson is too big around and the the lever support isn't letting the lever go far enough ahead. I think it's the weld so I will just grind it down.

thanks

mexiburger

There's a set of bolts on the driver's side of the tunnel underneath the carpet that allow for adjustment on the lever. You may have to pull the seat (4 bolts) to get access to it, but it's a pretty easy fix and your lever will sit level then.