Ultimate Subaru Message Board

5 Speed popping out of gear

Hello fellow Subers. Lately I've been noticing a potential problem with my 1992 Loyale.4wd 5 speed. Its been coming out of 4th gear all by itself. Its done it before when I've had my hand resting on it and I figured I kind of inadvertantly knocked it out. But lately when I hit a bump it will just come right out as if it weren't really "locked" in. Has anybody ever heard of this happening before? Is there an easy fix or is it "start looking for another tranny" time? Thanx in advance for your input.

If you have the habit of resting your hand on the shifter (like most people) It will begin to wear the syncronizer gear and or the drive gear it is in, and thus it will begin popping out of gear. Your local transmission shop can replace them but it can be expensive. I went to a local "pull-your-own parts" and it only cost me $50 for another trans. The other junk yard was $250 and they pull it. This is the best answer I have for you. Good luck.

Ya that's right,(scratching head), the guy I bought it from a few years ago is an ex-subaru mechanic and I remember him saying something then about some rubber bushings being worn and causing the gear shift to make a buzzing or vibrating noise, if you will. As I recalled I pulled the boot off the shifter to take a look see and found that I couldn't really do anything from up above. I guess all work must be done from underneath. Anyone else have any ideas??

The rubber busings in your gearbox just make it smoother and easyer shiftin. They wont be causing the shifter to jump out of gear it is the sincro mech in the 5th gear selector fork, You can just open up the housing and do it yourself for next to nuffin but its not worth pulling apart unless you know what ur doin, if you are goin to pull the box apart you might as well do all of the sincros at once im not sure what the cost of sincros are over where you come from but u can be sure if u do the one no long after its back in another will go. patt

I had an '85 turbo sedan with a 5-speed that popped out of gear (it was 2nd and reverse that it did it in though). It was on warantee (it was only 5 years old when this happened), so it went to the Subaru shop. They ended up having to rebuild most of the tranny......

• 1 month later...

Well I thought I'd update this post. Sorry for the delay, but, been busy with stuff........... I think that the problem that I was having was the oil level was real low. While I had the spare tire out working on the exhaust I figured I'd check it and "wow", it was barely reading on the end of the dipstick!

Since I've filled it up the "popping out" seems to have gone away. And the more that I drive it the better it seems to shift. A heck of a lot smoother shifts and the vibration is less also. Hopefully this has cured my problem.Thanks to all for the input.