Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Oil in the air box.

A couple of my buddies and I were on the way back from a local lake this last weekend camping. And on the way back the motor in one of our cars just died. We noticed the same thing had happened that happened to another one of our cars. The oil seem to be coming up the hose from the valve cover. All we could guess is that there is a problem with one of the valves. I don't know. Does this ring a bell. It was on a EA82 carb. GL.

Thanks for the plug Matt:lol: .

You need to clean out the PCV system, which is any and all hoses that attach to the valve covers and/or the PCV valve, which screws into the back of the intake manifold. There is also a little teeny filter inside the regular filter housing that needs to be cleaned. This filter cleans the air that the PCV system sucks into the crankcase. It is located on the right rear of the air filter housing if you are looking at it while standing in front of the car. Also, replace the PCV valve with a genuine subaru one, as others are often problematic. That should help take care of the problem.

I'm still working on perfecting the PCV oil separator. Right now I've had a prototype on my car for a few thousand miles and it still sucks oil in when taking sharp corners at 75-plus. I'm going to add a baffle to it and retest as soon as I get the time. If I am able to figure it all out, they will be for sale at WCSS7 (or via mail order).

• 3 weeks later...

If I have a motor that has this problem on a carb will I have the same problem if it is FI. Just asking because I have one of these motors sitting around and FI in my car.

Thanks for the plug Matt:lol: .

You need to clean out the PCV system, which is any and all hoses that attach to the valve covers and/or the PCV valve, which screws into the back of the intake manifold. There is also a little teeny filter inside the regular filter housing that needs to be cleaned. This filter cleans the air that the PCV system sucks into the crankcase. It is located on the right rear of the air filter housing if you are looking at it while standing in front of the car. Also, replace the PCV valve with a genuine subaru one, as others are often problematic. That should help take care of the problem.

I'm still working on perfecting the PCV oil separator. Right now I've had a prototype on my car for a few thousand miles and it still sucks oil in when taking sharp corners at 75-plus. I'm going to add a baffle to it and retest as soon as I get the time. If I am able to figure it all out, they will be for sale at WCSS7 (or via mail order).

My 88 GL had that same problem with fi...freaked me at first..my dumb self actually took it to a dealer .....who was dumber than me cause they couldnt figure it out. Took my neighbor (ownes a junk yard) to tell me....replaced all the hoses ,PVC and the filter and didnt have any problems after.