Ultimate Subaru Message Board

sputtering with hard acceleration

1985 Hatchback 1600 carb. Just the last 2 days this starting happening. When ever I am taking off fast or going up a hill and have to use most if not all the accelerator, it sputters and then clears out once I am at cruising speeds. I just put in a new fuel filter (NAPA) a month ago. Just timed the car 2 weeks ago, it has new spark plugs. The distributor is a used one from another car that I replaced because of bad bushings and the new one I put in is working fine since. When I bought this car, the guy told me he puts in a gas treatment once in a while and I have just bought one today to try that out.

Any other ideas? Could the filter be clogged already? The tank is filled up, and I am using the same gas I have always used. Never had a problem with their gas. I have owned this car since Febuary.

1985 Hatchback 1600 carb. Just the last 2 days this starting happening. When ever I am taking off fast or going up a hill and have to use most if not all the accelerator, it sputters and then clears out once I am at cruising speeds. I just put in a new fuel filter (NAPA) a month ago. Just timed the car 2 weeks ago, it has new spark plugs. The distributor is a used one from another car that I replaced because of bad bushings and the new one I put in is working fine since. When I bought this car, the guy told me he puts in a gas treatment once in a while and I have just bought one today to try that out.

Any other ideas? Could the filter be clogged already? The tank is filled up, and I am using the same gas I have always used. Never had a problem with their gas. I have owned this car since Febuary.

have you run it to empty recently? I had a car that had junk in the gas tank or something and everytime I ran it to empty, it would clog up the filter even if I filled it up to full again.....I was careful usually to keep it above 1/4 tank, but sometimes I would forget......

My '88 SPFI had similar issues. I removed the coil and cleaned all ring connectors with a wire brush & checked all the associated wires for integrity. If you do that you may want to write down which wire(s) go to which terminals on the coil 'cuz if you reconnect them wrong, you are gonna fry something. Afterwards, the sputtering was gone. just my $.02.

Could be a weak ignition coil, when they start to go they will often produce symptoms like that.

I think Ross is on the right track. I had a bad wire that caused the same symptoms. I looked at everything but the wires.

Get a new set of wires and see what happens...

I'd bet you cure it.

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester

You said you replaced fuel filter. Which one or both? Yes, there are two. One in the engine compartment and one under the car in front of the tank. Chances are the engine compartment one was replaced many times and the other has only been replaced a couple times. It always seem to get forgotten.

Thanks for all the replies. When I put in this new Distributor I also put in the Coil that came with it. I am not sure I have the wires spliced very good on it. I will check them out today and see if that helps. I used a tube like connector that you put on side of the wire in one side of it and the other on the other side and then just crimp them. Might not be getting a good connection.