Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ea81 Engine Not Running Correctly

Okay guys, I just swapped out an engine in my 87 Hatchback. I put in a Jap engine that I bought out of an outfit in Texas. I did everything correct and it is making a glanging sound as I drive about. It has LOTS of power and the only thing I can think of is the flywheel. i ut is all together fine and I am at a loss as to what to do next.

Anything like this happen to anyone of you before?

Rich

Well I have to say that it sounds more mechanical than anything. I guess it could be the connection from the "Y" pipe to the exhaust port. But it does sound kinda "METAL TO METAL". I don't think it is the ASV. My brother said he thought it might be a rod or something like that. (OUCH!)

Rich

Well I have to say that it sounds more mechanical than anything. I guess it could be the connection from the "Y" pipe to the exhaust port. But it does sound kinda "METAL TO METAL". I don't think it is the ASV. My brother said he thought it might be a rod or something like that. (OUCH!)

Rich

I don't think you would have described a rod knock as a "glang", it is a most definite knock or clonk, so i don't think that is your problem. Sounds like something to do with exhaust.

I don't think you would have described a rod knock as a "glang", it is a most definite knock or clonk, so i don't think that is your problem. Sounds like something to do with exhaust.

I will check after church tomorrow, I am leaning towards the exhaust area.

BTW my bro said a exhaust leak could alter or damage valves, what think thou?

AND I read in Haynes that hydraulic valves do not need adjusting, what about that?

Rich

I had a funky noise many years ago, thought it was the Y-pipe. Then on top of the noise the car wouldnt always start, just clicked. The noise wasnt constant either.

Long story short, I finally figured out what was making the noise and causing my starting problem. That someone shined a light into the timing hole in my bell housing, and it was plain that the flexplate and torque converter were going on a mad ride that wasnt straight round, there was a distinctive random wobble.

Turned out the mechanic I had rebuild the motor had over tightened the flexplate bolts to the crank (supposed to be 37 ft lbs), and do to crazy laws etc.. all 8 bolts had backed out of their holes about half an inch. Then I had to find a new flexplate, and once it was all installed, never had a problem again. Also mostly solved my starting problem(the extra juice from all the jump starts I had to have to start a misaligned ring gear fried the wiring, and only let 11.4 volts through from the key).

Anyway, get it started and make sure nothing is wobbling.

Alex

I am gonna climb, or crawl, under that thing today and check for ANY LOOSE thing I can find.

BUT what about valve clearances? The book says Hydraulic lifters do not need clearnaces, does my EA81?

PERPLEXED about this, as right in the next sentence in the book they tell you how to adjust the valves.

Rich

Ive had some pretty loose valves in my day on my solid lifter EA81 (to the point I had a pushrod come out once, would you beleive same mechanic that did the flexplate trick?), but Ive never heard them make a clang, just clicks and clacks.

You can see if the flywheel or flexplate is loose by shining a flashlight into the timing hole while its running.

Good luck,

Alex

Alex, and All,

I looked closer and realized that the #3 plug wire was a ittle loose and that was giving me some stange noises, only running on 3 cyls was too hard for it and anything that was loose was rattling! Sounds wierd but that fixed it, by reconnectiing that wire tighter.

NOW the stange thing is I am getting a slight knocking noise and and hoping it is just the valves. Adjusted the valves the other day on a cold (45 deg) day before I put the engine in the car. I am thinking I should have adjusted them on a warm day or at least when the engine was warm. SO I will adjust them tomorrow night after I warm up the car and then I hope the knocking will go away. I also had some bad gas in there for quite a while and just put in a half tank of higher octane hoping to balance out the gas octane.

ALL IN ALL I can finally drive this thang! I bought it in 95 (87 Hatchback) and drove it till a cylinder head went sour and kept it in the backyard under NON-OP for 8 YEARS! Finally this thing will be driving down the road again! Thanks to all of you who gave me better ideas to combat the trials of getting this project up and running.

NOW FOR THE 5 SPEED!

Rich