Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help suby wont start.

So a couple days ago my suby started acting up. You would turn the key all the way and nothing would happen. My sound system wouldn't come on or anything. Battery is fine no corosion or loose connection. So you would sit there with the key turned then all the sudden it would turn right on. It didn't do this every time I started it just some times. Then after brawling really hard yesterday it won't start at all. I took the plastic piece off the steering wheel and checked the switch and connections all good. I don't think its the coil. I think it is some wire corosion on the starter or something, but wouldn't I still have my sound system. So now my suby sits outside of checker.

Please help

Sounds like the electrical part of the ignition switch has died - double-check that power is actually going through it - also check the fusible links - they may look OK, but really be fried - I would check all relays too, just to be sure

Good Luck!

thanks for the info.

I did an enormous water crossing yesterday and got a good bit of water under the hood, but I wipe out distributor, air cleaner and carb. Then I drove it to checker, it ran fine the whole time. And now it's sitting there in the snow. I just don't know.:banghead:

I'm bringing it in to my mechanic today.

I don't know where they are located specifically for your car, but if you use a multimeter then you should be able to check them with that (check resistance - there should be very little) - they may look good, but really be broken. Also double check fuses.

How do you do that?
I think... find a brown or black box. I think as you look at the car it will be on the left hand side chasis near the wheel. Mine is on the right connected to the radiator overflow tank. (87 Sedan)

Look for something 1/2" wide 2.5" high and 2" long. It will be pretty much split in half (vertically) with some clips at the end to remove the top cover. There will be three or so fuse links. They're color coded. If any of them don't link up/broken then you will need to replace them, then you're off... as long as you don't have any short circuits in which case the link will burn again and you need to take it to a technican.

I think a good place to start looking in general is within a foot of your battery. They are (almost) always close to the battery.

Goodluck.

I hope this helps.. I was just having this problem TODAY as a matter of fact.. here's a couple PICS:

fl84.thumb.jpgfl82.thumb.jpg

This is an 84 GL Brat............. and this one is an 82 GL.

As you can see, I took the one out of the brat to use in the GL .. gonna have to get some more tomarrow. The red one in the middle there is for your ignition.. your car will not start if this thing is bad (sometimes you can't tell from the outside.. as was my problem, and why i tore the whole dash apart in the 82) but will run. A good test would be to take it out.. and find a short length of wire to connect the two prongs that are in there and try and start it (this is easier if you have a buddy, one person to hold the wire and one person to turn the key).. If it starts you have a bad FL.. if it doesnt... i suggest going to get a multi meter.

( http://gallery.usmb.net/album17 )

Andrew, I have a multimeter and I've had the issue they're describing w/ the fusible links. If you want a hand or to borrow the meter, let me know. I have the materials to make a new fusible link if necessary.

When it happened for me, I had no power to anything except my horn, hazzard lights, and interior light. Hope that helps.

Good luck,