Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Security Siren Stopped Chirping

The siren of the factory installed security system (H7110FS201) on my 2000 Forester stopped chirping when using remote keyless entry system (H7110FS101) when both locking and unlocking. The locks still engage/disengage properly and the parking lights still flash. Could this be just a siren gone bad or something more involved? I'm thinking of just installing a new siren and see what happens. Any suggestions?

Originally posted by dbiddle

I should have mentioned that I had also verified that it's not in Valet mode. I will try breaking-in and see what happens.

Thanks,

Dave

You can "break-in" the car via the old fashioned way: using the car key to unlock a door and opening it. :)

Well, this was kind of rare, but I pressure washed my engine bay one time and got water in my alarm siren and didnt notice anything except for i had no chirping.

The alarm siren, it was half full, like a half full cup of water.

I dumped it out, chirping returned. :-\

*edit* the water probably acted as a silencer *edit*

Originally posted by Hocrest

Try to break in and see if the alarm sounds. If it does then the siren is good and the problem is in the box, maybe just a setting got reset.

ps, don't

use a hammer or brick to break in;)

I broke-in (used the key) and the lights flashed, but no sound came from the siren. So, it appears that the problem is either; (A) the siren is bad or (B) power is not getting to the siren.

In terms of (A), is there a way that I can test the siren itself? If I were to remove the siren from the car could I test it by applying 12v across it's terminals? Without a male plug, I'm not sure about being able to attach wires to the siren. In terms of (B), is there such a thing as a 12v tester that I could insert into the male plug and test by "breaking-in" again? Otherwise, maybe I'll just buy a replacement siren and see what happens.

If you have eliminated the possibilty of swapping a fuse or a relay(if it even applies) then you certainly could use a voltmeter or even one of those lamp testers with the sharp probe to see if there is voltage being applied to the siren. Check the parts store, they should have one. just clip to a good ground and stick the point through the insulation (better to touch the connector if you can get to it). and see if is flashes when you 'break in'.

Carl

1 Lucky Texan

I'm not familiar with THIS specific siren, but I've checked out other similar items with a 9 volt Battery. To get the power from the 9v to whatever I'm testing, you don't need anything fancy. A couple of wires, stripped and taped to the end of the battery, or even paper clips bent around the posts...

Look for some identification of polarity on the terminals of the siren (+,-).

For one person this may be easier than working the test light while your breaking in...

I pulled the siren out and tested it with a 9v battery as suggested. It reacted to the applied 9v by moving slightly and making a faint sound. I suspect that's all I should expect from the 9v is confirmation that the siren responded.This test would suggest that power is not getting to the siren.

The potential for a problem with a fuse or relay was mentioned above. But, it would seem unlikely since the alarm system itself is working (lights flashing when I "broke-in"). I looked at the fuse boxes and manuals and found nothing to identify which fuse would be associated with the security system. I could not see any obviously blown fuses. However, I did not take each one out and look at it up-close.

It appears that I am facing the replacement of what is probably an expensive "black box" somewhere in the alarm system. Is it time for me to go to the dealer on this?

Just checking, Is it possible that it made the "faint sound" while hooked up, but with where it is mounted, you couldn't hear it?

I keep thinking it more likely to be the siren itself, but I'm no expert with alarms....

Do these alarms have a Starter Disable? If so, where I live I would leave it as is. I'm not crazy about excess nise anyway.

I checked for any indication that power was getting to the siren by listening closely and holding onto the siren while arming and disarming the alarm system. I could not hear any sound or detect any physical movement of the siren.

This factory-installed security system does have a "Starter Interrupt" so the car is protected. I guess I'll have to decide how important the audible alarm is.

• 1 month later...

I finally got around to taking my car into the dealer. They located and repaired a broken ground wire. Having anticipated one of those "we have to replace the black box" repairs, a broken wire was a welcome surprise.

Thanks to everyone for their problem-solving suggestions.

• 2 years later...

Well, 2 years later, I am having this same problem. I will look at the water problem mentioned, as my alarm stopped chirping after VERY heavy rains. Will also look at the possibility of a damaged wire.

But - could someone please tell me where the alarm siren is? Thanks in advance.