Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help: EA81 blowing OIL out the exhaust!

I have an ea81 with a weber carb that is blowing oil out the exhaust in a very 007 smoke screen way!(alot of SMOKE in one shot):cool:

The tail pipe is coated with oil inside and the tail pipe smokes lightly after the big blinding plume.

BUT....

This only happens when Im on this specific hill.

Its a very steep and very winding road, never in the flats on sharp turns or other steep hills while 4x4'n today.

It blows oil in mid turn and continues a bit after the turn, up hill and downhill.

Im in second and rpms at around 3-4grand.

It doesnt change anything operational wise just one big plume of smoke.

oil pressure is normal, temp. too.

I replaced the pcv valve today and gave it a test same thing happened.

I am going to drop the oil and put a bit less in. ( Im !slightly! above the F line right now)

My question is what could cause this if my "too much oil" theory doesnt fix the issue?

Why only on the hill and in a turn? :-\

This has happened once before but due to the old leaky exhaust it just filled the cab with smoke, it occured going up hill on a turn and never happened again, I wrote it off as a blown doj boot, till today.

I cant help thinking its related to the elevation change that is occuring because right now its predicatable to the turn and happening while going up and down.:brow:

Any IDEAS you have will be greatly appreciated!

Till then...

To the advanced search feature I go!:D

I slightly over filled the oil in my wifes Jeep and it did the same thing. I'd drain it and refill it, see if it goes away. Were you turning one way when it happened? I had an EA82 that smoked on hard right hand turns only.

Also I think the whole thing is made up as I've never seen your Hatch out of the driveway (well once) much less on a trail:lol:

look i don't want to scare you or anything but when oil starts spewing out of the exhaust like that and u say that its coated w/ oil inside it usually means that the engine burns oil but not all the time. it could also be that u over filled it. anyway drain the oil like you said and see if it stops the oil bursts. if it has no change, then your engine burns oil and WILL I repeat WILL leave you stranded any where even while driving. (when i mean 'while driving' i mean that the engine could just stall @ freeway speed and that's it. its dead:dead:!)

if it has no change, then your engine burns oil and WILL I repeat WILL leave you stranded any where even while driving. (when i mean 'while driving' i mean that the engine could just stall @ freeway speed and that's it. its dead:dead:!)

very unlikely, if its burnig oil because of worn rings, valve seals etc it will usually just keep burning it, at a slightly increasing rate, while the performance of your engine will slowly drop off over a long period of time untill you say "this engine sucks" and you either burn it or fix it.

Anyway, by the sound of things it seems much more likely that its due to your sump being over filled.

Its ALOT more likely that you are running rich, not burning oil. Check timing, and fuel mixture.

i thought this might be something to look into too.

but there is alot of oil inside the tail pipe. not sure would poor timing and fuel mixture do this?

look i don't want to scare you or anything but when oil starts spewing out of the exhaust like that and u say that its coated w/ oil inside it usually means that the engine burns oil but not all the time. it could also be that u over filled it. anyway drain the oil like you said and see if it stops the oil bursts. if it has no change, then your engine burns oil and WILL I repeat WILL leave you stranded any where even while driving. (when i mean 'while driving' i mean that the engine could just stall @ freeway speed and that's it. its dead:dead:!)

i drove this car from washington to colorado and i have been 4x4n in moab. after the smoke screen i hit up a trail for a few hours im not worried about it leaving me anywhere but thanks for the advice.

anyways thats what AAA is for!

did you see ME in Moab? (Oh wait, I pussed out!)

B1tched out I believe.

See what Dave doesn't know here is that I've been putting smoke bombs in his muffler. It's a special type of smoke bomb designed to ignite only in the Colorado National Monument. As for the oil in the pipe, I had to lube it up a bit so the bombs would slide in there.

Seriously, I've wittnessed this, and if you were driving behind the hatch when it did it you would surely crash. I think it's more Spy Hunter than James Bond.

OK its fixed as far as i can tell.

i changed the oil amount and everything is tip top.

except the fact that the oil pan is leaking pretty bad.

but that fix is #1 on the to-do list after the loose lift block.

no more spy hunter/james bond smoke screen to foil unsuspecting drivers.

Guess there was just to much oil in there!

thanks for the fast replys!

YOU GUYS Rule:drunk:

Just to let everyone know this is VERY common on the older EA NON-Turbo Motor's and there is actually a fix out to deal with it.

We have fixed about 10 at the dealer I work at.

It's a fault in the PCV System Design.

the TSB/fault is for the SPFI EA82 engine's PCV system - I have a copy of the TSB, and am having the problem on my car now (downhill rt turns) - as his is an carbed EA81 car, it should not have the PCV system problem - either faulty PCV valve/filter - Someone has it on his/her webspace, it would be nice if they would post the link here - I did a search a while back and found it then - I will try to find it again and post the link ....

Ahh, here is the thread:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=712&highlight=PCV