Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tallest Tires for unmodified EA82?

What are the tallest tires I can put on an unmodified '89 GL wagon without rubbing?

I'm thinking about replacing my lifted '83 GL wagon with the nicest '89 GL wagon I can find. I don't need or want a lift this time, but would like to put the tallest tires that won't rub on the '89 when I get it.

I've read that the tallest for an unmodified will be 25" tires. I did some checking and found that the largest tire for a 13" wheel that Les Schwab carries is 185/80-13 and according to the Miata tire and wheel calculator those would be 24.7". Hope that helps a bit. I think I'm going to go that direction with my next set. Maybe I'll work up from there. LOL

I've read that the tallest for an unmodified will be 25" tires. I did some checking and found that the largest tire for a 13" wheel that Les Schwab carries is 185/80-13 and according to the Miata tire and wheel calculator those would be 24.7". Hope that helps a bit. I think I'm going to go that direction with my next set. Maybe I'll work up from there. LOL

Thanks! I have a set of Pugs on my EA81, so I could go to 14s, but the 185/80-13 dimensions and 25" max height gives me an "envelope" to work with.

Thanks starkiller. MorganM, I'm not a Reiters Pit kind of guy at this point in my life. I just need to get to trailheads or down the odd rough road to go car camping with my buddies. I can always lift the EA82 later, right ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I put a tape on my Coopers and Pugs and they are right at 25 inches. I might put them on the new car when I get it and see if they rub. They probably won't work, but it's worth a try--a bird in the hand...