Ultimate Subaru Message Board

4wd shifter bounces on throttle... why?

On my D/R 4wd 5spd, the 4wd shifter for the Hi-Lo shift bounces down when I hit the gas, and up when I let off it. About a half an inch, I'd say... enough to be visible.

It feels like the whole drive assembly is moving... like from __ to /\ if you get my meaning.

Is this a problem with mounts? I've gone under the car and tried to wiggle stuff, but the driveshaft was solid and I couldn't move anything in that area.

The clutch was replaced about 6 months ago, by a shop. Maybe something wasn't tightened all the way?

The description coupled with the recent clutch replacement just screams pitch stopper!

First check for general tightness of the stopper. Theres two 12mm nuts on the bar where it attaches to the engine.. thats most likely the area where its loose.

If not, check the rubber bushings. Theres two of them where the stopper attaches to the engine, and one at the top where it attaches to the unibody. Either end could cause the play you describe.

If all else fails, look at the motor/tranny mounts for signs of rubber death.

Okay, thanks RavenTBK... I just found an earlier thread on the topic of the pitch stopper, with some good background info.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=35771&highlight=pitch+stopper

and even a picture! http://random.removed.us/usmb/imagedump-070.jpg

BUT I'm still not at all clear on how to get to this part and the 12mm bolts you describe... through the engine bay, or under the car? Pulling the engine is not a short term option unfortunately.

EDIT: oh jeez, there are actually about a million "pitch stopper" threads here. I'll post back if I can't find the answer in one of them. Thanks again for the clue though.

Among other useful nuggets from other threads:

Dennis says:

"The pitching stopper is a rod that mounts at the rear of the engine on one end and just under the spare tire holder on the other end. There's a bushing on either end that could be worn, and it should be easy to check visually. If yours is bad, you should be able to pick one up dirt cheap from a junkyard.

...the pitching stopper isn't really adjustable. There's a little bit of play where it connects to the bracket on the rear of the engine, but that probably won't do you any good."

and picture from Dennis with helpful yellow circle: http://www.udink.org/images/usmb/pitching_stopper.jpg

Another clue from MaroonDuneDoom:

"...while you drive te car, does your 4wd shifter kinda jolt or move down a ways? if so, i suggest also checking a bolt where your tranny links up to it's mounts or whatever, it is on the pass. side of the trany. hell, it might help."

Now that picture with the yellow circle is of an EA82's pitch stopper. Theres no adjustments on it.

Since you said 4spd D/R, that tells me EA81. If you look in the same spot as in that yellow circle picture, you'll see the pitch stopper. As in the picture referenced in my other post (the "imagedump" one), thats what yours should look like.. without the 6" bolt welded in the middle. Look at the far right of my rod in that image. Thats where it attaches to the rear of the engine just in front of where the tranny bolts up. You might have to remove your aircleaner to see it if you still have a big stock aircleaner. Its threaded on that end.. like this:

unibodymount----rod----[]|/::/|[]----

--- is the rod

[] is a 12mm nut

| is the metal washer

/ is a rubber washer/bushing

:: is the engine's mounting point.

If that makes sense.. where it would be loose is the nut on the extreme far side away from the unibody's mount point.

That far nut, and the nut on the unibody are the ones that are removed so allow removal of the engine for that clutch job you recently had.

You dont need to remove the engine to check it, just remove the big aircleaner if you've got it. I would take a picture of one mounted up so you can see exactly what to look for, but the Brat is up at the shop right now with a destructed strut.

Hope this helps..

Since I brought my Brat home today, blown strut and all, heres a pic of what you're looking for, to make my last description a bit clearer. The picture was taken from the passenger side fender looking in.

Where my finger is pointing in the picture is where it would be loose if the pitch stopper is your culprit.

Cheers. :drunk:

post-3439-136027601417_thumb.jpg

Thanks Raven :) but actually as I stated in my first post it's a 5speed 4wd. EA82T to be precise, 86 RX 4-door to be more precise.

I went out to torque on the pitch stopper last night but my g/f had just returned home with the car so it was WAY too hot to be wigglin' stuff in there. I will definitely post an update to this when I am able to look at it closely, I'll also check under the car just in case tranny mount bolts are loose.

Hmm... I coulda swore I read that dang thing twice.. and it said 4spd D/R. Either my eyes, or my brain was not cooperating.

Since its a 5spd D/R EA82, there isnt any adjustments on the pitch stopper. Just the bushings to check. And yes, I'll now lean more towards the (engine/tranny) mounts now that I know whats really going on. Heh.. oh well. I know that eventually a newbie will come along with a similar problem in their EA81.. it'll be helpful for them. I'll go back to my hole in the wall now and let the EA82 gurus get back to assisting you. :drunk:

Okay, I checked it out tonight. The pitch stopper is very solid and doesn't wiggle at all. But, there is another bar which connects to the right side of the transaxle about 8 inches below the pitch stopper, same orientation, and its single-sided mounting bushing is shot, apparently. It wiggles quite a bit and even spins about 30 degrees back and forth when I torque on it by hand.

The bolt that holds it on is solid with its hanger on the transaxle. I can't see where the other end of this second bar is, looks like way down on top of the back of the transaxle :-\. Can it be removed by only the bolt I can see, then unscrewing it?

I'm guessing this is my culprit. Anyone else dealt with this before? This piece looks a lot like the piece in your photo, Raven, but it's not the big solid bar up top that my Chilton's calls the pitch stopper. Matter of fact the Chilton's doesn't even refer to it in the diagrams.

Thats the dual range selector lever. its normal to be able to roll it 30 degrees like that.

I bet your problem is further back just below where the actual shift lever is on the underside of the car. Look for loose bolts there.

ALso, depending on how much it bounces it may be transmission mounts worn. Look for those on the side fo the trans, one probably has a lot of rubber left and the other doesnt (on each side.)